What happens to worn out coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommybee, Aug 23, 2010.

1. tommybee

tommybee Junior Member

Anybody know what happens to coins that are too worn for circulation? What is the standard? How are these coins taken out of circulation? Do they weigh them at The Fed?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

They end up in somebody's coin collection like this US half dime from 1838.

[​IMG]

:)

Omegaraptor likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If a coin is worn enough, or damaged in such a way that a bank feels it should be removed from circulation then those coins are returned to the Fed. If the Fed agrees with the assessment then the coins are melted down and the metal re-used for new coinage.

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

But banks do not have very good guidelines, and are not really pressed to pull the coins from circulation like they are bank notes. The truth is that the government wants all damaged coins ideally to just collect somewhere in someone's jar and never be "redeemed". This assumption is inherent into the GAO calculation of costs of coins versus paper money. I do not think they calculated any coinage return versus about 99% paper return in their analysis proving coinage was much cheaper than paper bills.

In practice, us coin collectors are the ones who provide this service to the US taxpayers. When a coin is old enough to have so much wear it is usually old enough to attract a coin collectors attention. :)

7. GDJMSP

It's amazing what one can learn sometimes if one takes the time to read the dry and often boring internal reports & audits issued by the Treasury. This only touches on the subject at hand - but it reinforces what I have stated. Start on page 15 - http://www.treas.gov/inspector-general/audit-reports/2004/oig04033.pdf

There are plenty of other reports as well, and if the time is taken it can be learned just how much coinage is recycled every year.

ps - if you look closely you will see that there is much other information that can be gleaned form these reports that is not reported elsewhere ;)

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Some supposedly destroyed 'waffle cancelled' coins get away from the Mint and end up holdered by TPGs.

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

now now krispy lets not make sinister allegations

u can do that at hoe also with a waffle canceller

10. krispy

krispy krispy

...but the ones I make at home taste better because they come with whipped butter and Vermont maple syrup, so the TPG won't grade those. :)

11. GDJMSP

Ahhhh - but they don't "get away" from the mint - they are sold by the mint at a profit ;)

Those not sold by the mint are sent to refiners where they are melted and turned into new coin strip.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

They seem to have failed to put that in their reports... unless the 'profit' you're mentioning fell under some overtly generalized or otherwise obfuscated language which they did actually report publicly. :smile

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

So the mint takes back 1.1% of the coins it issues out every year as returns, huh? Not bad, I thought it would be a touch lower. This is excluding collector coins of course, which if included would lower it to .7%. I wonder if poor quality proof set returns would be counted in that number. :)

14. GDJMSP

The Mint used to run ads in the coin mags a few years ago krispy - offering to sell the waffled coins. And profit would have been recognized under the collector coins category.

15. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks. That makes for an interesting aside to the OPs questions about what happens to worn out coins which are not recycled out of circulation.

16. GDJMSP

Well not really because the waffled coins are not worn out coins. They were coins that the mint culled before they were ever shipped out.

17. krispy

krispy krispy

I suppose I erroneously also thought there were coins returned damaged which were sent through the milling equipment to 'waffle' them. Thanks for clarifying this.

18. tommybee

tommybee Junior Member

That's the second time I've been referred to as an "OP". What does that mean?

19. krispy

krispy krispy

can mean Original Poster (or something like 'original point' -- of discussion)

20. tommybee

tommybee Junior Member

Thanks, Krispy.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You would also probably find the waffled coins listed under the sale of coinage scrap since that is what it is. And most of the waffled coins were put on the market by private companies that bought scrap from the Mint and then sold the waffled coins.

I was unaware that the mint ever sold the waffled coins directly to collectors.

Draft saved Draft deleted