What happens to Coin Talk's images?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GSDykes, Dec 25, 2019.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I usually mark copyright on my images (flowers and coins et cetera). I got to wondering, what happens to all of the 1,000's of images posted here on Coin Talk?? Are there any plans to use them off-site, publish them? or sell them? Just curious.
    Gary in Washington

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

If you took the pic, "You" own the photos that you post. Permission from the owner is supposed to be given before others may use/post it. Supposed to !!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Stevearino likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've got no beef with folks that use my images. I would, however, take umbrage with anyone trying to sell them. As far as I no the latter hasn't happened.

Stevearino likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I save images of counterfeit coins and use them to warn other collectors on the Internet and in club presentations. I think all collectors should be supportive of efforts to the word out about counterfeits.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

We're all collectors so we have a mutual respect for one another.

Mike185 and Islander80-83 like this.
  7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

One should ask permission, or at the very least give acknowledgment of the pics owner when using them.
    Stories abound of unscrupulous sellers using others pics to sell coins they don't even own.
    I use stock photos of new release products,, (US mint etc...) and try to remember to acknowledge the pics origins.

GSDykes and green18 like this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nope, never any plans for CT to do any of that. Nor has it ever been done by CT.

That said, and this goes for every single member there is, when you register on CT you sign an agreement stating that anything and everything you post here, you give CT written permission and the right to use it any way they wanna use it.

edit - and just so ya know, pretty much every website I ever heard of has the same kind of agreement that users must agree to.

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I've never been accused of taking a picture worth stealing.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Years ago there was a jerk here that took my images and posted them saying he took the images and he owned the coin. He didn't know what to say when I posted images of the same coin a member friend here took for me. Busted for sure. The guy still post here but never told the truth.
    The truth is, I don't care if honest folks use my images.

Stevearino and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  11. green18

12. GSDykes

Yes, I agreed to that. Yet I also know the nature of most humans. The folks herein all seem to be exceptional. I mean, if Coin World, or some other entity offered several thousand dollars to use your vast (I mean vast) collection of photos, you are NOT bound in any way not to sell. As you stated -

"you give CT written permission and the right to use it any way they wanna use it."

Alas, some coin enthusiasts are profit oriented, but as long as this site is governed by several folks, the chances of that happening are greatly reduced, unless you all are profit oriented, which some of you are not.
    That does not bother me much, as I copyright my decent images, like a watermark, or a hidden mark zoomed-in about 10x! The other images I have little concern over. CT is indeed, a very respected site. However, who will be running it in 25 years from now?? I may still be kickin' 20 years from now.

13. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

If I upload a photo to a coin forum I automatically give other members permission to use em. Not sure what use they would be though. I myself do not use other members photos though. I have however cropped and enlarged other members photos to make it easier for the forum to see em. When I do this I always let the op know.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Any time you post anything on the internet, anyone can see it. They can copy it and use it without your permission. That's life.

I've seen articles I've written posted on websites I've never been too. In a way, it's flattering - but it's also frustrating.

Stevearino, furham, ldhair and 2 others like this.
  15. GDJMSP

I get what you're saying, but for the sake of clarity let me explain a little bit. First the mods, every one of them is a volunteer, meaning they are not paid in any way. They do what they do because they are willing to do so after being asked to do so. Simply put they help enforce the rules. But it needs to be understood that they are told how, when, and why to do that - by either me, or Peter. Peter owns CT, I merely help him run it, and I too do what I do for free. Bottom line Peter and I make the decisions. But he always has the final word.

And to the best of my knowledge Peter has never made 1 cent profit from keeping this website up and running for over 18 years now. To the contrary, the cost of doing so is money spent out of his own pocket every single year.

Sure, supporters and ads help. But they don't bring in enough to pay the bills. Peter pays the bills.

Well, nobody knows for sure if CT even will be up and running 1 year from now let alone 25. It's pretty rare for any website to last as long as this one has now. Most websites simply fade away and disappear before they are even a few years old, let alone 10 or 20 years.

But one thing is certain, if the day ever comes that the bills stop getting paid, for whatever reason, CT is simply gonna fade away and disappear. But as long as they are getting paid, I imagine will stay here with somebody running the place - no idea who - if and until Peter decides to just shut it down.

Stevearino, Two Dogs and GSDykes like this.
  16. GSDykes

Thank you GDJMSP. I feel better now, warm and fuzzy, especially since I just came in from walking my dog (it is cold and windy at the beach). I thank you for making things very clear. Sounds great, I will support CT by posting interesting threads, articles and quality images. I will encourage others to join and participate. Actually I am rather proud to be associated with you, Peter and all.
    Gary in Washington - Happy 2020 coming your way!!

Two Dogs and Spark1951 like this.
  17. green18

I'll tell ya one thing Doug. There are many, many members here who would step up to the plate in support of this website if it were in danger of folding.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

As far as I’m concerned, the copyright of any photos posted here are owned by the person who created it. Posting it here simply means you’re sharing it with the community. If we were ever to publish a book or whatever, I would make sure each copyright owner had the opportunity to opt out of having their photos included. I have no plans of doing anything like that, just saying if that ever were to happen, I’ll make sure you hear about it in advance.

As for how long Coin Talk will exist, as long as there are people enjoying it, I’ll keep the lights on. I have had many offers over the years from various people and businesses who would like to buy it, but my answer has always been that I’m not going to sell.

19. GDJMSP

Well Ken, are ya ready - for this ?

I like it !

Now go tell Frank :D :D

20. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Same here. I've also seen sections of material I wrote here used in descriptions to sell other similar coins on some dealer/auction sites. These are all dealers I know and would have given permission to if they had asked (they likely don't know that they know me in person based on my handle here though). Better still if they read and then rewrote what I had written in their own words, or gave credit. Not much you can do about it though.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Stevearino likes this.
  21. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

green18 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted