What happened to this coin?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lil ol' me, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

But you can't make him drink.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Boosbuddy

Boosbuddy Active Member

If you are not going to believe what people with years of experience tell you, why bother asking!

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

To be a contrarian. lol :)

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Oddly, someone else with a similar damaged coin posted.
    Though this definitely was someone starting to experiment to make a similar looking coin. Doing this is an evolution of techniques, as this was probably someone's first attempt.

you may not see the similarities, but it is very similar.
    thread here ==>
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/error-or-abused.358378/

Pickin and Grinin and non_cents like this.
  6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

"A Nod Is As Good as a Wink..."

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Or a tip of the hat.

8. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

I have a nice collection of damages Lincolns.. edited

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2020
  9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

"...to a Blind Horse."

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I see said the blind man to his deaf dog.

11. Lil ol' me

Lil ol' me Member

I agree, that is a poor example as my penny is not beaten up it is smooth and precise as if a MACHINE made it happen. I am curious though...how do you get rotated dies if there's nothing in the mint that spins? (appears as if my coin has been spunt. Lol)

12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Your "spunt" coin was not created by spinning dies. It was created by someone messing around with the coin.

13. Lil ol' me

Lil ol' me Member

Thank you for being kind with your post. Everybody is giving me a hard time. Yet I am only trying to learn. I understand what they are saying and I appreciate even the rudest answers. However I was wondering how does a rotated die error happen? Because there have been answers to my coin stating there's no machine at the mint tjat could have produced such an error as I have.

14. Lil ol' me

Lil ol' me Member

Just to be clear....I WOULD NOT BE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS COIN HAD I DONE IT MYSELF. I DO NOT MAKE HABIT TO ASK QUESTIONS I ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER TO. THANKS.

15. Lil ol' me

Lil ol' me Member

How can you tell this? I have examined my coin very close to see if I could see any signs of even a warped dremel head. No marks from a clamp or anything. Everything is diminishing at the same rate and even the building is rotated diminishing at same rate.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Why did you say you did? Your words.

It's not a mint error. It's just damage.
    Stop making up stuff just to argue.
    You don't have a clue what you are doing or saying.

Boosbuddy likes this.
  17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Note that the term is ROTATED die, not ROTATING die. Think about it

Once again, I have to ask; what part of the minting or die making process could have produced a coin like yours???? We'll be waiting for your theory

18. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Well, think about it. In order to get sharp edges such as the center, you need something that is sharp and defined to cut them. To make swirling features, you need something smoother like a buffer. If you swirled the die, it would cause tearing of the features. The dies stamp straight down. They don't spin like a drill bit.

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This is unbelievable this thing has gone on for this many pages. It's an error coin. There, are you satisfied? I agree...

Look, here's an idea. You take great pictures. There are error coins like this selling on eBay every day. Instead of wasting your time here getting answers you don't want to hear, why don't you take ten minutes and offer this error coin on eBay? Unless you're a collector of error coins, maybe, then just keep it, and admire it for what it is. Show it off. Just make sure you preserve it in a nice holder so you don't damage it. And BTW, don't clean it, as that will reduce its value. Getting it certified by a TPG (that's, "Third-Party Grader," e.g., ICG, NGC, ANACS, PCGS) is another idea, as then you can all but assure its value for your heirs who may not possess your instincts when it comes to coin errors. But here, five pages, I think this thread has all but served its useful life. I'm going dizzy just reading these replies. What do you say?

Dynoking, Boosbuddy and Nyatii like this.
  20. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

For most countries, the obverse (front) of a coin is lined up opposite, or 180 degrees turned, from the reverse (back). If someone at the mint installs a die 180 degrees (or some other amount) from the true and expected position, until someone corrects it all the coins minted with that die pair will be "rotated," that is, the obverse (front) will not line up with a 180 degree turn from the reverse (back). For some countries, the regulation alignment is the same for both front and back. Great Britain is an example, so a modern British coin with any other alignment would be considered rotated. The dies do not rotate while making the coins.

Nyatii likes this.
  21. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

My understanding is they have alignment mechanisms that allow them to only fit a certain way. If these break the die can turn freely.

Draft saved Draft deleted