What happened to this cent?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mammoth29, Apr 18, 2015.

1. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

I'm sure my pics won't bring out the magnitude of the contrast, so I will explain it. The obverse of this 1914 D is almost red while the reverse is almost brown. I'm wondering if it's been dipped or if the front was just cleaned. What kind of value would it have in this condition?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mammoth29

Now that I look at the pics.... I think it's a fake.

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It's just a very poorly altered 1944D cent that someone attempted to make look like a 1914D. The coin is in such poor condition that it's really not worth more than a cent, at least not to me.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    silentnviolent likes this.
  5. mammoth29

Yeah I see that now. Good I didn't pay anything for it!

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Not a real 14d, the date looks horrible, take a look at the area on the bottom of the left of Lincoln's bust, cents before 1917 (I could be off by one year but I think I may be correct) don't have a trace of the designer's initial's there, in 1917 they added a small VDB there. Noticed that it looks all scratched up in the area where VDB would be, the person altered a 1944d cent and scratched off VDB to make it look more authentic. The whole coin was then cleaned to give it an even color.

[​IMG]

(Not my photo) http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/sg040806-coins.htm

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

originally a 1944 D

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't think it's possible to do a convincing alteration from 44D -> 14D. No matter what, you'll always end up with a wide gap between the 9 and the second 1.

coinman1234 and mammoth29 like this.
  9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

There was one posted here some time ago without the real wide gap between the 9 and 4. Someone had managed to center the 1 somehow.

Draft saved Draft deleted