What happened to this 2019 proof cent?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by UncleScroge, Oct 20, 2019.

1. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I broke this proof cent out of its holder yesterday when I noticed this small spot on the reverse. It sort of looks like a stain on the shield just above the C in ONE CENT. Any ideas of what may have caused this, or what it might be?
    2019-10-20_105733_500.jpg 2019-10-20_103403_139.jpg 2019-10-20_103549_117.jpg 2019-10-20_103403_139 cropped.jpg 2019-10-20_103549_117 cropped.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Perhaps some residue from the rinse used to clean the planchets? There is another spot near the rim under the "N" in CENT as well.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We can only guess what caused the spots but they kill the coin.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's anyone quess as to what causes these spots. The 2019 proof coins are plagued by them this year. The Mint is aware and a number of sets have been returned. However the Mint is making no effort to improve their quality control.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but it looks like a water spot like furryfrog mentioned. The 2019 West Point proof cent has the same two marks on the obverse, although they aren't round spot like yours. I hope someone can explain it so we can all learn.

7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Yep. lots of issues in this years set... But, sometimes it gives it some character, too. I believe the W cents have a couple scuffs around Lincoln's head... Ugly but a bit of insight to how the process works, I guess.

8. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

By the way... That second picture there is awesome. I love the way it shows the background there.

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks like a Mint employee was talking over the coins.
    It's called bad quality control.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Gesundheit!

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted