What happened to my Kennedy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sf340flier, Mar 14, 2007.

1. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Hello all,

It's been a while since I have had a chance to post...just too busy. But I found a neat Kennedy that has some weird spotting/toning issues. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on how this happened or what is going on? The spotting/toning is only on the obverse; the reverse is clean.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

To paraphrase a teen-age saying, "Tarnish happens." :D

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

An educated guess - the coin was dipped immediatley before it was submitted for slabbing. It was not done correctly. What you see is the result.

5. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Doug.

If PCGS saw that then why did it get the grade it did they would know it was dipped if you saw it would they not ?

Bruce.

6. GDJMSP

Because what we see now was not visible when they slabbed it. The brownish coloration we can see in the pics ( assuming the color in the pic is accurate ) is quite often the result of dip residue that was not thoroughly rinsed off the coin after dipping. But it doesn't show up when you first dip the coin. It only shows up later on.

7. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

So I assume if you sent it back they would know what you or someone else did and would not replace it ?

8. GDJMSP

On the contrary, they might replace it. They would call something like this - "turned in the holder". Their guarantee says they have the option to replace the coin or refund you the difference in market value. Of course they (PCGS) are the ones who get to determine what that market value actually is.

But if you want to know what the really scary part is - PCGS may have been the ones who dipped the coin to begin with.

9. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

Is this common for the TPGs.......if so, I did not know this. :rolling:

10. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

When I first saw the coin, I thought it was dipped and not rinsed, but I had never seen the result of that before; I had only heard about it. The only weird part is that the reverse is clean. So I suppose the coin was dipped on one side, or only rinsed on one side, or something like that.

As far as PCGS dipping, I think I read somwhere (maybe in one of Tarver's books) where David Hall was quoted as saying how they (PCGS) dipped a coin once for a customer. I cannot remember all the details (I'll try to find the reference), but I think it had to do with their grade guarentee. I'm sure this is not part of their normal protocol.

Of course, this is a lower value coin, so I think I'll keep it as an "educational" piece.

11. GDJMSP

For all of them, no. But PCGS has certainly been known to do it - and without the customer's permission or knowledge.

12. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Whoa. I think that qualifies as a horror story in Bonediggers thread. I didn't know they could do this. Thanks for the info GD.

Phoenix :cool:

13. skinnyeddie

skinnyeddie Member

Here's a newbie question spawned by this thread, but what is a "dipped" coin? I assume some kind of chemical treatment or polish???

14. Shortgapbob

I'm sure someone can give you a better definition than me, but let me start. Because of the demand for coins that are "white," people will dip a coin that has started to tone somewhat into a chemical, usually acetone. This will remove the discoloration and normally not harm the surface, leaving the coin a lusturous, blast white.

However, care should be taken. A coin must be properly rinsed after an acetone bath, and not wiped or rubbed dry, as that will leave hairlines on the coin. The coin, though, must be dried, or water spots will form on the surface of the coin.

Maybe someone can add more to this.

15. Shortgapbob

Wow....that really bothers me.....I was completely unaware of this. :confused:

16. GDJMSP

While acetone wil remove some contaminants from coins, it is not really the chemical most use when they "dip" a coin. Coin dips are commercial products that all contain an acid. When a coin is dipped the acid eats away the surface layer of a coin removing any contaminants, toning and a small amount of metal. The result is a coin that appears brand new.

But a fraction of a second too long in the dip and the coin loses any luster it may have had. It becomes a dull grey color and is washed out. For all intents and purposes the coin is ruined forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted