What happened 5o this 1996 penny it's shaped like a bowl

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ruthlankford68, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Ruthlankford68

Ruthlankford68 Active Member

I've always been curious about this one for some reason. It's shaped almost perfectly like a bowl. And it's black. I put it up beside another penny so u can see the difference is size or atleast an appearance of difference.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ruthlankford68

IMG_20200401_010015_6.jpg IMG_20200401_005959_9.jpg IMG_20200401_005936_9.jpg IMG_20200401_005832_9.jpg

Attached Files:

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's just a damaged coin.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

6. Ruthlankford68

Thank you. I knew it wasn't of value I'm just curious as to how or what could have caused this because even though it's bowed the numbers and letters aren't stretched or bigger or anything like that.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Could have been caused by heat.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Only the very bored person who bent it would know exactly how that occurred. But it is DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged.. Shape and color.

spirityoda and Ruthlankford68 like this.
  9. Ruthlankford68

And it may not be the person who bent it who is bored. Lol. I think I am very bored to pull out this coin and find out what my bored self is curious about and occasionally wondered.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is a kit that folks use to make jewelry.
    il_570xN_899206507_h24y.jpg

11. Ruthlankford68

Thank you. That looks like what happened to this coin.

12. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Or they could have placed under the uneven leg of the coffee table for several years :)

Ruthlankford68 likes this.
  13. Ruthlankford68

I didn't think of that either. I've had a few suggestions. Opened my mind up and helped me broaden possibilities. At first I thought maybe where they make the coins that possibly the machine that gives the pattern for the rest of the coins made to go by might have something like this I mean stranger things have happened since there wasn't any stretching of letters and numbers from the misshape. Thought ppl would think it was a stupid question but I decided to ask anyhow. Thanks everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted