What grade would you give this 1943 p penny steel and is it possible to be a experimental penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coinman2, Jul 5, 2020.

1. coinman2

coinman2 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is a Reproccessed Steel Cent. You can't grade it. It is not an experimental planchet and considered damaged by alteration.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. coinman2

coinman2 Active Member

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Quote "There are also “reprocessed” steel Pennies, which are essentially 1943 steel Pennies that had become corroded (due to the rust-prone nature of their steel core) and later stripped of their original zinc coating, and recoated with a fresh layer of zinc. These are numismatically worthless since they are altered coins" Closed quote

https://coinvalues.com/wheat-pennies/1943#:~:text=There%20are%20also%20%E2%80%9Creprocessed%E2%80%9D%20steel%20Pennies%2C%20which%20are,are%20numismatically%20worthless%20since%20they%20are%20altered%20coi

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Or chrome, nickel, even silver - anything you can electroplate.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I've got a question. All of the reprocessed steel cents that I've seen are high grade - lots of details, very little wear. That leads me to a question that I've always wanted to ask you guys. Why didn't they just leave it alone - since it would surely have been worth more (due to its nice condition) before it was reprocessed? What am I missing?

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted