What grade would you give this 1943 p penny steel and is it possible to be a experimental penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coinman2, Jul 5, 2020.

1. coinman2

coinman2 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 Let me burst your bubble! Supporter

It is a Reproccessed Steel Cent. You can't grade it. It is not an experimental planchet and considered damaged by alteration.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. coinman2

coinman2 Active Member

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 Let me burst your bubble! Supporter

Quote "There are also “reprocessed” steel Pennies, which are essentially 1943 steel Pennies that had become corroded (due to the rust-prone nature of their steel core) and later stripped of their original zinc coating, and recoated with a fresh layer of zinc. These are numismatically worthless since they are altered coins" Closed quote

https://coinvalues.com/wheat-pennies/1943#:~:text=There%20are%20also%20%E2%80%9Creprocessed%E2%80%9D%20steel%20Pennies%2C%20which%20are,are%20numismatically%20worthless%20since%20they%20are%20altered%20coi

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Well-Known Member

Or chrome, nickel, even silver - anything you can electroplate.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. JeffC

JeffC Mind Your Thoughts Supporter

I've got a question. All of the reprocessed steel cents that I've seen are high grade - lots of details, very little wear. That leads me to a question that I've always wanted to ask you guys. Why didn't they just leave it alone - since it would surely have been worth more (due to its nice condition) before it was reprocessed? What am I missing?

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted