What grade would you give this 1928 Lincoln?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wxcoin, Dec 12, 2018.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

This coin is listed in an upcoming Heritage auction. With all of the nicks in the obverse field the grade of MS 66 seems generous to me. What do you think? lf.jpeg

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It is generous. I would grade it a 65. Still a really nice coin.

wxcoin and Paul M. like this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

It is what it is....:meh:

Please add the reverse photo so we can have the full idea. :)

wxcoin and Paul M. like this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The red is very nice, but the reverse is important to me as well.
    There are some sizable hits on that obv.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Very attractive, but 66 seems too generous given the hits on the obverse. No black spots, though.

7. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I definitely wouldn't give it 66, that's for damn sure.

8. wxcoin

Sorry about not including the reverse. Here it is. It is nicer than the obverse but those hits on the obverse should keep it lower than a 66, imo. lf (1).jpeg

ddddd likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The reverse is better and if it truly averaged out with the obv, I can see 66.
    65/67.

chascat and Clawcoins like this.
  10. wxcoin

I completely agree with giving it a 67 on the reverse but I'd even go as far as a 64 on the obverse. I can understand averaging the obverse and reverse grades but in some instances, like in this case, the nicks on the obverse should carry more weight. I guess we, as buyers, can decide what we like and don't like, regardless to what the TPGs say. That said, it is a pretty coin even with the nicks.

Cheech9712 and Spark1951 like this.
  11. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

This is an example of you grading the coin and not buying the plastic...probably a realistic grade, but you obviously have questions about it. Is the price right?

12. wxcoin

We'll know the price when the auction closes. I will be interested in seeing the bids on this coin relative to other recent sales of similar graded 1928's.

13. Redleg21

Redleg21 New Member

The front has a few marks but the obverse is special. Too bad you gave it away in the picture of the slab. I would give it a 65.

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It's a beautiful example, other than the obverse field tick, which isn't that bad. I agree with the grade given - it probably has very strong eye appeal.

15. wxcoin

I agree with the eye appeal but the one of several "ticks" is more like a gash. The reverse looks flawless.

chascat and Michael K like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

With PCGS, luster is really important with MS65-67. Nice luster gets you a 66 but you need great luster to get to 67.

BadThad likes this.
  17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Look at it this way, do the "ticks" warrant more than a 4 point deduction? At 4 points down from 70, I think the coin has already been penalized for the obverse.

Cheech9712 and wxcoin like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like some of the light marks are on the holder. The reverse is fantastic so averaging that with the marks on the obverse I give it a strong 65.

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Ms66

Draft saved Draft deleted