What Grade Would You Give This 1921 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coinblogger, Feb 10, 2009.

1. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

A whole bunch of his coins looks polished.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

I need to start looking at the other coins sold by the sellers.

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

That is an excellent and very underrated technique for "repairing" cleaned coins. :thumb:

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Everyone (that I looked at) of his coins have been polished.
    Not dipped, polished.

and he has 100% positive feedback!

6. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

What is dipping? How does that differ from polishing?

7. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Polishing generally refers to a mechanical process. It is sometimes used interchangeably with words like buffing.

Dipping is placing a coin into a caustic solution. The top few layers of molecules (metallic oxides, or toning) are removed, but so are a few layers of the metal of the coin. This is why coins get shiny when dipped, but also they get a "flat" appearance due to a loss of luster. The waves in the top layers of the coin that created the luster have just been washed away.

8. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

That;s a polished coin indeed you could tell when the elements stick out like that you could tell it is definetly polished> I have a 1922 that;s polished the surface has a mirror look to it ,and i don;t mean proof like either a different appearance all together and it does's drop the grade down significantly.

Jazzcoins joe Alein ZEC

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

tell me more lets say i have a $500 polished coin in unc now if i were to carry a pocket piece will it eventually become an XF coin gradable by TPG what else is out there

10. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Absolutely. The coin would wear normally, all of the abnormal top layers go bye-bye, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, to tell that the coin was ever cleaned.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A cleaned coin, yeah it works. A polished coin ? I'm not so sure. I rather think that a polished coin would have to wear down to very low XF, if not VF, before you couldn't still tell it had been polished.

And spock - if a coin is polished, it's not Unc. It won't even have Unc details any more - AU at best.

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think you're correct.

It's all about numbers [and what you want to achieve]. If an XF or even VF coin is more valuable than a polished AU or former MS, a few months or couple of years in the pocket might work. Coins were designed for this sort of treatment, and the contact with other coins in your pocket will gradually remove a tiny bit of the damaged surface. It's something to think about. I don't know of anything better for a heavily cleaned or polished coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted