What Grade Would You Give This 1921 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coinblogger, Feb 10, 2009.

1. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. breakintheweb

breakintheweb Senior Member

Wear wise it looks AU. It also looks be have been heavily polished based on the photos.

4. coinblogger

Does the polishing ruin the coin?

5. i agree. it does look polished.

...as for whether it ruins the coin or not... it depends. Most will consider polishing/cleaning of any kind to be 'damage' to the coin.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

AU details, polished.

7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Wow, polished. I wonder if the polishing of the coin has made it look AU? Hard for me to give it a grade with the current photos. THe 1921 peace dollars have strike issues, so I'm not comfortable saying it AU, yet.

Either way it looks polished, and that is not good. I would stay away and find another one. The 1921 peace is not difficult to find, just be patient.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Depends on your definition of "ruin". If that coin is AU (I cannot tell for the glare), it should sell for no more than an XF price when cleaned and probably VF as much as that has been cleaned.

9. This is definitely AU. Do not go by the seller's estimation of AU-BU, there is no way it is BU. Just look at the hair on the obverse.

10. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

It ruins the value of the coin. This one is obviously polished.

Melt value = $10

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

If there is any doubt that this coin is polished, look at his other items for sale. He polished every coin. Run away, far far away from this coin and this seller!

12. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

WOW! Those coins are vile!! I hope you haven't bid yet.:mad:

13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think, genuine, whizzed.

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree with ksparrow whizzed and ruined , too bad it's a key date , would of made a nice coin if he left it alone or had it done right .
    rzage

15. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I'd give 8 to 10

16. Danr

Danr Numismatist

ouch, it is bid up yo 78!

17. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

that's because its a 1921....

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Heck buy it put it in your pocket till the polishing wears off and you still have a $75 coin .
    rzage

19. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I cannot tell for certain from the pics, but given the apparently clean fields, I would also go with polished.

The earlier comment of $10 melt is way off. It's still a 1921 Peace, no matter the treatment. If I watched the guy polish it, I'd still pay $50-60, and sell it for $70-80.

20. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

21. coinblogger

Thanks guys. I knew when I saw this coin that it looked like something was wrong with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted