What grade is this shifty eagle?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Aug 22, 2015.

?

What's the grade?

1. Details. They'll give you the details.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. AU

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. XF

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. VF or lower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tatiana Mislany

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Thanks Autocorrect. It's Tatiana MASLANY.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey everyone!

Let's get this weekend started off with a bang - what grade do you think NGC will slap on this sweet, sweet cherry of a VAM?

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I totally read the "shifty" park of your title wrong and did a double take. Also, my fandom of Orphan Black won't allow me to vote until you correct the name of Tatiana Maslany :/

stldanceartist likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

I couldn't edit the poll choices...only add a new choice or start the thread over...

...and thank goodness autocorrect didn't do its magic on my title, too...haha

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

45 maybe 50

6. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Wow, nice, not good enough to grade it though. Would it be considered a 'DDO"? Just my question to ask of the experts.

7. stldanceartist

DDR, yes.

bear32211 likes this.
  8. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

OK, Double Die Reverse, thank you. Wondering if there was anything on the front just not the back and why that would not occur ?

9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'll guess AU50.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

AU50, VAM-3

Chris?

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

XF-45 DDR and possibly cleaned

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1

13. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

It should be easy to tell if cleaned, morgans hold the spoke effect very nice and thats the best way to tell . As far as damaged, ( detailed ) only the scratches can anwser that ....

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm on the XF/AU fence. I could see it possibly getting AU-50 but it's hard to tell. My gut says it will come back XF-45 though.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

XF45. Definitely worth grading. Nothing screams cleaned, but no guarantee a grading service will agree with me. PCGS price guide has it at $1700 in 45, Heritage recent sales in 45 are $1300-1500. It has an outside shot at AU, but I don't see a price difference between 45 and 50. This is one of the varieties PCGS recognizes with an extra attribution fee. They simply call it Doubled Reverse.

16. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I'm at AU-50

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm in the EF camp. I think it has probably been cleaned or dipped at some point, but it looks to be market acceptable. I think you'll get a straight grade on it.

18. stldanceartist

Hey! Just wanted to chime in here (been busy photographing new coins, but I didn't want you guys to think I'd abandoned the thread.)

First off, thanks for all the opinions and thoughts. My personal feeling is that it's been dipped at some point, but there is still some underlying luster left in the coin. We all know that TPG opinions are kind of a "keep your fingers crossed and pray daily to the coin gods that they show their favor to you just this once" kind of thing. I think I'd agree that it's somewhere between XF and AU.

Since I plan to sell it, my feeling is that it would bring more money in a slab than raw... While this might not be a pure fact, I think experience has shown it to be true more often than not.

Still...not a bad find. The best part of this, the BEST PART, is that I was reading in my CPG like two days before I found it, came across this listing on the page, and said, "Huh...I never knew about that variety." And there it pops up. JUST like this coin:

Italy - 1928 R 10 Lire.jpg
    Italy 1928R 10 Lire
    **FERT** Edge
    NGC XF45
    The best part about the 10 Lire is that I was browsing CoinTalk's World Coins forum (while waiting for my ex-gf to get ready - which gave me plenty of time to read, work on my car, take a trip to Europe, etc.) and saw that design. Thought to myself, "Wow, that's a beautiful design, I should pick one of those up if I come across it." No idea of value, really...

Then we went to a few antique stores, where I found a bag of foreign coins with that exact coin in it! Same day.

Can I also just express that I have a strong feeling that I'll find a 1961 Proof Franklin DDR sometime soon?

miedbe7 likes this.
  19. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

That's the spirit!!

Draft saved Draft deleted