What feedback would you leave?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Prime Mover, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

So do you collect certified Presidential Dollars? I don't know anyone who does that. If so, what do you think about the missing edge lettering coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Unless the auction says that he will combine shipping, I'd give him positive feedback. You got a great price, why complain.

4. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

I collect certified Presidential Dollars. I collect the P & D in MS65 and the Proofs in PF-69. Been awhile since I bought some, but I have about 1/4 of the collection (up to current offerings) complete. I keep simple rules:

1) Never pay over $5, and that includes S & H for each of the P/D coins. I tend to buy them in auctions that include the P & D of a particular President. So the total ends up being around $4 or 5, then a few $ for shipping.

2) Never pay over $10 for proofs. Most of the proofs I get, I pay around the same as the P & Ds. Just takes some patience.

3) Only buy NGC slabs. I just like the way they look. lol

Will this collection ever be worth big $? Doubtful, but I like them and I think they look neat when I set them out next to each other. Plus they're cheap in those grades.

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Me personally - if they came in one package then I would leave a neutral and lowest star rating. I used to give 5's to free shipping or really low shipping. Now free shipping automatically gets 5 stars and that is fine with me - now I can bid a few dollars more than I normally would. Of course I don't win much on ebay so I don't really have to worry about it anymore.

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

What do you think of the missing edge lettering coins?

[​IMG]

Price Guide has them at $65 in MS65. Do you or any of the other Pres $1 collectors like them?

7. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I would do like LeHigh said or Camlov.

He really did do what the auction said but could have done it nicer.

8. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

If I think I might get charged for each coin individually including full shipping, I ask in advance what the seller will do should I win more than 1 listing before the auction ends.
    Here is a copy and paste of an exact message I sent before a listing ended.

Hello, I have bid on some of your items. If I should win several of your coins, do you combine on shipping costs? Thank you

If I don't get a reply, I don't bid on other items from that seller. If I would get a message in return on what they would charge and they changed the terms after the message and listings ended, I would maybe open a dispute depending on the attitude of the seller.
    I can see where this guy is coming from but I have been in his predicament myself and stuck to my terms which are always posted in my listing and took a beating. After I learned my lesson, I started my listings at a minimum open bid that I could live with.

I think if the seller has a nasty attitude, I would give them appropriate feedback. Which would match the attitude.
    If they were pleasant and honest and explained that they would like to recoup some loss, and in this case it is obvious, I would still whack them on the shipping costs with 1 star and 3 on the rest and leave a positive comment about the items received and that's all. No pats on the back since the seller wanted the most exposure starting them at .01 for lowest priced searches and the gamble didn't pay off.

Odd that they didn't end the auction early and cancell your bids. Wish you left an item number, I'd like to see the istings.
    I guess your bill comes to $35.07 and you have to ask yourself if the 7 slabbed dollars are worth that to you. 7 negs would hurt the seller tho, no doubt. He has to ask if 7 negs are worth the small loss he set himself up for.

9. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

Nice one!

I caught onto the Pres Dollars and kinda like them. Plus, they are great for my oldest, she is in 2nd grade so it is a useful history lesson while getting her to enjoy coins. I'm also starting to look at the SAC $1, also for pretty much the same reason.

Personally, I like the missing edge ones simply because I am into varieties and errors. At some point soon I will grab the Washington one because in lower grades they're reasonable still, but I think the jefferson one is already a couple hundred in higher grades.

As wgpjr noted, I pretty much have the same mindset. I try to get the MS 65-67 ones for under $10 each including shipping (and I it's great when I find the P+D set for $10-12). You can get PR69 proofs for about $25-30/set of 4. I buy both NGC and PCGS, and am trying to put together at least a set of each PCGS/NGC - 1 for each kid. I also have the non-slabbed as part of the mint sets so that covers raw versions. They're cheap enough that you can get complete collections for a couple hundred bucks, so a nice, easy way to get a sense of completing a full type set.

I also don't expect much price appreciation, but you never know.

10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

Here's one of the item #'s: 200862061015

Very nondescript auction, very little in the item info, but good clean pics of the items. There was enough feedback, and recent, that I wasn't worried about bidding on it from that perspective.

I caught the auctions with about an hour or so left on most of them, and was busy today with Christmas things around the house (mostly baking which I couldn't really leave alone to check on auctions and messages), so I just set my max bid and left it be. If left more time, I will usually ask about combined shipping if it's not mentioned. I never really expected to come away with all 7 for $.01 each without any other bidders to be totally honest.

I can commiserate to a degree as well with the coins going for only $.01, but if that's the case, then start them higher, and charge a more reasonable amount to ship. Funny thing is it would probably work out to about the same money in the end.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Not to defend the seller, but at least he was honest and gave (what should be) an understandable reason for not combining. What this really amounts to is a pick, so give more leniency than you would on a straight purchase, especially if you're happy with the coins and the overall price paid. Feedback should not be used to nail sellers to the wall over any/every real or perceived mistake, but as we all know, there are certain people who do just that instead of being reasonable. Since you just won, give it a few days, wait until they arrive, and then talk to the guy, but either way take the high road.

How about for someone who bids at TeleTrade without reading the terms, does not want to pay the BP, and goes back on his purchase? Is it not a "legally binding contract" for them too? It works both ways.

12. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I don't understand this line of reasoning. In both scenarios you got exactly what you paid for, at the the price you agreed to. You agreed to, and you must have been OK with, the shipping price when you clicked the bid button.
    I know it seems like the seller is getting over on you if he ships them all in one package and I would feel a twinge of wanting to "get back at him". However the right thing to do is realize you got what you paid for, leave the appropriate feedback, that's the bottom line.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In a recent consignment to Shane, I included a 2007-P Washington Prez $ which was missing only partial edge lettering. I found it in a bag that I had ordered from the Mint when they were first released (cost, $1.24), and I submitted it to NGC (MS64) as one of my freebies. I remember the frenzy the coins missing all of the edge lettering created at that time, and I never thought that this coin would ever be worth too much. I was really surprised when it sold for $217 on eBay.

Chris

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Which law book are you reading? A bid is not a legally binding contract. A bid is merely an offer to buy, and for a contract to be enforceable, there must be a "meeting of the minds".

Chris

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

In starting my auction at $.01 with no reserve, have I not already agreed to sell the item for the highest bid? Are you saying that I am under no obligation to complete the sale because no one bid an amount that would make me happy?

16. zesty

zesty Member

I only had one transaction on ebay that I left negative feedback. That item showed up with scratches on it that definitely happened after the pictures were taken. The seller made me an offer to make it right, then later retracted that offer and went Ebay's policy. I left negative feedback because I had a negative experience with the item and the seller. Technically, the person stuck to Ebay's rules, he just really made me mad, lol.

I think that is what feedback is for. If you're not happy let others know about it. Some sellers don't worry about a few dollars if their feedback is in danger. Some sellers nit pick Ebay's policy and are fine with a little lower feedback score.

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

PayBack!

Control!

My way or the Highway!

Take your pick!

Actually, headstrong buyers such as those that suggested Neutrals if the seller doesn't give in to their demands are the ones that make selling on eBay a challenge. They all want something for nothing and then penalize the seller if they don't get it their way.

The seller decided to not combine shipping to cut his losses. There's nothing wrong with that and to penalize him/her because of it is just being nasty.

18. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Tell us how you really feel...

19. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Maybe the reason selling on eBay is a challenge is the down economy, the fees ebay charges, list can go on and on ... leaving a neutral, i say quit whining about your 100% feedback rating when selling razor-thin profit items to begin with

edit: the buyer has the right to leave whatever feedback he feels like and he asked us for our opinions. if you want to start a new thread about people who leave neutrals ruining ebay, you'd probably get a bite or two

20. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

If the seller charged you $5 each coin for shipping and shipped all of the coins in one container, I would definitely give them a negative feedback. That is just dishonest and a crying shame.

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, whether the seller ships all in one package or in individual packages, either way I'd at least ding his shipping stars.

Draft saved Draft deleted