What, exactly, is a type set?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by drathbun, Mar 31, 2015.

1. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

Is there a formal (official) definition of what a type set is?

Simple example. I have been working towards getting an example of each type of half dollar. I'm not going into all of the varieties, just want one flowing hair, one draped bust, one capped bust, one seated liberty, one barber, one walker, one Franklin, and one Kennedy. To me, that's one of each "type" of half dollar.

Then you can get into more specifics, such as the different type of eagles or whether it has a reeded edge or not... I get that. But when I'm done getting one of each of the items on my list above, would I have a type set or not?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes.

Unless you wish to expand it.

A type set is finished when you say that it is.

4. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

Ha, I like the way you think. :)

5. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

U can always go more in depth. For a simple example there are 3 metal Types of kennedy 90% silver 40% silver and then Clad.

6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

What Frank said. ;-)

"Officially", I believe it is defined as follows by the U.S. Mint:

U.S. Mint definition

type set:
    a collection of coins based on denomination. For example, a nickel type set would contain one of each of the four types of nickels that the United States Mint has produced.
    http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/collectors_corner/?action=glossary
    Coin Week

"A “type set” is a collection of the various design types of each denomination."

yet they go on to say:

"There are almost unlimited ways in which to build design type collections..."

So "unofficially", I believe it to be any set of coins that you want to set apart as a special subset of your overall collection (see PCGS examples below).

(I guess it could be notes as well?)

And the best part is... you can change your mind and make it broader or more narrow tomorrow depending on your mood, your wallet, or both.

Misc other references

Wikipedia's definition

Example Type Sets at PCGS

7. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

And like 4 Seated Half Dollar designs through the years and so on and so fourth

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I would add that many use the Dansco 7070 album as a guide for type sets. The NGC registry type set is a little different. I'm putting together a NGC registry type set, including the gold. Some of the coins are way out of my financial reach, but I'll chug along until I deem its complete.

Dougmeister and UnCommonCents like this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I like Type sets for US collecting since it free you of the terror of date/mm collecting. Plus its just more interesting. At least new addition looks different, not something as trivial as "look, this looks identical in every way to 3 other coins I own except there is a tiny O under the eagle instead of a tiny S, CC, or nothing. Isn't that SO UNUSUAL"?

I will reiterate what Frank said, "it is what you say it is". Shouldn't ALL collecting be like that? That is why I hate Danscos, someone ELSE has determined what I should collect. To heck with that, my collection is what I want to collect, end of story. If I wanted to do a half dollar type set do you really think I would buy ANY Kennedy halves? Heck no, I find them pedestrian and ill designed coins. I have a bunch in my junk silver pile, but I would not "collect" them. I know many others like them, great, good for them. That is my point, others can collect what they want, but its MY collection, so I will say what is included.

Dougmeister and UnCommonCents like this.
  10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@medoraman , I like my type set for the very reason you convey in your post. However, there are some coins that I'll put in the type set that I'm not enamored with. For example, this Helga V Nickel:
    [​IMG]

When it comes to the designs I don't like, I'll spend less on the coin, still trying to add a nice example.

I do like collecting Morgan's and Peace Dollars. I just really like the design and the fact they're 90% silver. I don't mind having many multiples of the same design in my collection when I find it attractive.

medoraman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted