What EXACTLY does PVC damage look like?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merlin1066, Mar 24, 2009.

1. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

I have searched the fourms and cant seem to find any photos of what it looks like. Also, what does the PVC actually do to the coin. I don't have a problem I'm just curious about what happens.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. Yes I'm a newbie just trying to be a sponge.

Thanks in advance!
    Mark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

the PVC eats into the metal over time.

Attached Files:

4. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Member

5. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Thanks! It is nasty looking for sure. Thanks for the link FB now I understand!

6. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nice link and they mean well, but most of the information given is wrong. (Effects are right, causes are wrong. PVC is NOT a plasticizer, PVC is a PLASTIC, a hard rigid plastic. The oily green film is NOT PVC damage it is the plasticizer with the damage byproducts in it. Removing the oily green film does not remove PVC damage. The PVC damage is on the surface of the coin itself. The softer the flip the more plasticizer has been added to it. The amount of PVC remains constant. " Flips made of Mylar have no PVC in them." That is like saying windows made of glass are not made of plastic.)

8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

That made me want to vomit Jack.

9. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

That is one sad coin Jack. I'm assuming that when it gets to that point it is really beyond repair. Thanks Jack

Thanks for all the posts.

Now I have an idea what to look for. :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted