What effect will this wack on the neck of a 1921 Peace Dollar have on grade?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Justawesome, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Justawesome

Justawesome Active Member

I was thinking of sending this into PGSG but i have been concerned abt the scratch on the neck (obverse).

I'm needing this to come in in MS 62-63 but i'm concerned abt that one aspect.

Any help would be appreciated.

1921 Peace.jpg 1921 Peace Rev.jpg

Cheech9712 and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Its going to be a close call between AU and MS

GeorgeM likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Being a key date I don't think it will details.
    I disagree with the above. If a coin is MS it will still MS even with certain hits,
    but it will just go lower 61-62.
    If a coin shows slight wear it will AU and the hit won't lower an MS coin to AU.
    There is a lot of chatter in the hair (low by the ear).
    If the photos are a true representation, it might be an MS-62.
    But who knows these days. They want resubmissions so they tag it details for the
    hickey and then you have to shell out for another opinion.

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don’t think it’s close at all. This coin has seen a little circulations. My opinion.

Spark1951 and GeorgeM like this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that you should get at least an MS-63. The coin would be an easy MS-64 if it didn’t have that mark.

You have to be careful about downgrading this coin for the lack of hair detail in the center. It is almost always weakly struck in that area.

Paul M. and furham like this.
  7. Justawesome

Justawesome Active Member

well, it seems to common consensus (as is always w grading) is varied, even further than i internally thought. 'll send it out and report back. My collection is ME 62 or higher so, if it does but at least MS62 i'll have to buy one. I believe there is a sales auction of coin talk, maybe i can find one there to avoid the astronomical Ebay fees.

You guys going to be interested in the PCSG grade when it comes back?

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I been following the thread. I would absolutely like to see the grade when you get it back.

Spark1951, UncleScroge and Paul M. like this.
  9. johnmilton

NGC graded this one MS-65. It is over graded; it's one of my goofed up purchases, but it's easily an MS-64. Compare it with the OP.

1921 Peace Dol O.jpg 1921 Peace Dol R B.JPG

Here is a ful struck example, which is quite rare in my opinion. I down loaded this photo years ago from the PCGS site. The coin is only grded MS-62, so there must be something else going on with it. Finding this level of detail on a 1921 Peace Dollar is really hard.

1921 Peace Dol full struck.jpg

Spark1951, Paul M., ldhair and 3 others like this.
  10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The second piece has been cleaned, hence the downgrade. The super strike kept it from getting a details notation.

GeorgeM likes this.
  11. johnmilton

Have you even seen one as sharp as that? I haven't. I'd buy that even if it was cleaned, depending on the price, of course.

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

No. It is amazing. Roger Burdette needs to see a pic. Probably a very early strike before they lowered the striking pressure.
    I have a PCGS MS65 CAC that is struck up, but nothing like this.
    It may be a 62, but it would bring 66 money or more.

13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Paul M. likes this.
  14. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Based on the OP photo, I'm guessing AU58. Fingers crossed that yours comes back higher.

I bought a blind roll of Peace dollars off of eBay and got all 1921 or 1922 high MS. I didn't think these were particularly rare in mint state. Am I wrong about that?

Paul M. likes this.
  15. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

'21 Peace $ from a roll?!!!

16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If by MS, you mean at least MS-60, then, no. If you mean “nice MS,” then a really nice 21 is hard to come by, but 22 is still a common date.

17. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

This was in someone's silver stash, supposedly stored away since ~1964. I bought it off eBay, and had a stromg suspicion that the ends of the roll would be the only high grade pieces. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were probably the lowest grade of the bunch.

The "unboxing" video is a bit too large to share, but here are some screenshots: Screenshot_20200218-081638_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200218-081644_Video Player.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Cheech9712 and UncleScroge like this.
  18. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Why does it seem that the obverse always takes a beating, while the reverse looks a grade or two better?

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Above eye is hit also

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Not MS. i see wear on both sides. Au 58 is my guess

21. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Definitely want to see the grade when you get it back. For your sake I hope it comes back MS 62 or better.

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted