What effect will the UHR have on HR Saint Gaudens

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by breakintheweb, Feb 14, 2009.

1. breakintheweb

breakintheweb Senior Member

What do you think the impact will be on the original High relief Saint Gaudens with the introduction of the new UHR?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Probably have no effect at all. The mint is poping out so many of these UHR puppies that they will probably never be worth any more than melt. That didn't stop me from ordering one though. :smile

4. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

the HR st gaudens is gonna laugh at UHR double eagle.

5. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

6. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

The originals will always be in mega-demand. There is no substitute, least of all low-relief Saints.

The new UHRs will satisfy the aesthetic urge. They will be magnificent, I'm sure. :thumb:

7. Argento

Argento Perplexed

I would disagree, they will, like every other eagle minted, be worth more than spot. However, unless something major changes, if the projected mintage holds, they'll go for between 5% and 10% over spot -- 15% if you're lucky. I fully expect the long term on these to be a losing bet due to being minted during record high gold values. Bad timing for an investor.

If you're thinking investment, short term on eBay is the best bet for the UHR with closing auctions at $1700+ as of yesterday. Never telling when that window of opportunity closes.

8. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

They're already selling for 15% over spot now. I think they're a loser and no effect on actual St Gaudens. There is no substitute for the real thing, no matter how much hype there is behind it.
    Guy~

9. breakintheweb

breakintheweb Senior Member

I think the UHR will draw more attention to the original st gaudens which will drive the price up.

OldGoldGuy likes this.
  10. green18

The original is quite untouchable. At least for me....:smile

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

You can buy an original for $400 less than the modern. Not a high relief of course, but a nice UNC St Gaudens.
    Guy~

12. green18

I'm not talkin' 'bout an original Saint. I'm talkin' 'bout an original high relief St. Gaudens. If I could only touch that one for what I paid for the UHR.

Then you're talkin'.....

13. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

That's a bit like asking how those Pontiac Fiero based fake Ferraris will affect the value of a real Ferrari Enzo.

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

wasnt itonly 30k last time i checked or am i missing somethign here?

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

well u have come tot he right place ill let you touch the slab of one as soon as u put down the money :hammer:

16. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Love that avatar 900, Little Richard Penniman is the true King of Rock and Roll

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

well when the time comes t buy the real deal ill have them send u the coin aj so u can send it to me :D

18. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

That's the regular high relief, there's 1 1907 UHR without edge lettering in the Smithsonian, and there's maybe 2 or 3 1907 UHRs with edge lettering known to exist. They are worth millions.

19. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I think the original 1907 will sky-rocket in price cause the U.S. Dump... I mean Mint ain't ever gonna ship the 09's.......:high5:

20. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Right-o. You should love this one...

Attached Files:

21. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Exactly....I know a bunch of people who got into Saint Gaudens DE's as a result of their purchase of the UHR.

That includes me !! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted