What drives you to collect coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Monstermommy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

lmao

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alan Cecil

Alan Cecil Active Member

The thrill of finding treasures in rolls !!!

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I had that coming

6. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Just 2 months ago I started revisiting this hobby after having abandoned it ~25 years ago. My 8-year-old daughter's interest rekindled mine, although hers has since waned somewhat (she skips easily from interest to interest at her age). She still wants to look at anything I get and put things in her books, but she doesn't want to search change or go to the local shop.

The first thing I did two months ago was to try to rebuild the collection from my childhood that was mostly ransacked by my younger brother for 7-11 money. ;) Wheat cents, Buff nicks, Merc dimes, Washington quarters, LW halves, Peace dollars. Fill the holes. Then I took a breath and did more research and realized what I really wanted to do was to have some beautiful type coins with intrinsic value from around the world. So I'm slowly working on that.

Apart from enjoying the aesthetics of the coins themselves, what I enjoy most is the feeling of exercising judgment: examining, valuing, deciding. Where would this coin grade? What would it normally sell for? What could I pay to get a good deal on it? @baseball21 would hate my, err, "Scottish" approach to buying coins, but that's a big part of the enjoyment for me.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

;););););)

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

LMAO

Ag76 likes this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's all relative to what you are buying. That's the part a lot of people miss. Are you getting PM value world coins or slightly above (nothing wrong with that) or buying expensive coins. Quality with eye appeal is always is demand.

It doesn't have to be the one or the other some make it out to be.

Ag76 likes this.
  10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I love the beauty and history. I love finding that awesome coin that shines back at you. I also love to have a diversion from work and enjoy the challenges and discussions.

11. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

I guess what I'm doing is trying to grab coins below market value... Sometimes that can mean well above PM value (condition rarities); I try to snap it up if it's a "deal" & fits what I want to collect. Unfortunately, that means that I haven't yet gotten most of my favorite coins. They're on a list, and I'm on the prowl... but I'm patient. (Well, that, and my wife has shut down further buying for the next few weeks! :))

12. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Coins used to keep me off the streets and out of bars. It hasnt been working lately so..
    Can someone send me a NGC box full of nice UNC Morgan & Peace dollars???
    I need help :sour:

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Personally, I would say that my desire to collect coins comes from wanting to complete sets, to hold a coveted specimen of a coin, but, mostly to compete with friends who also collect. Now that my friends and I have paying professions, we are able to purchase the occasional trophy (and boast about it). Also, seeing other collectors here on CoinTalk certainly motivates me even more to collect!

14. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I find this intersting. I agree with "comes from wanting to complete sets, to hold a coveted specimen of a coin" but I have zero (0, zilch, nada, etc.) friends who give a rat's arse about collecting. No one to compete with on a personal basis. I have always had this impression of coin collecting as a solitary pursuit, with the occasional interaction with other like-minded persons at coin shops or shows.

I guess CoinTalk (or similar forums) are some form of interaction but it is as anonymous as one makes it. A good coin club might be worth joining perhaps. Just have to find one!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    wxcoin and Legomaster1 like this.
  15. Legomaster1

I see what you mean. It's especially surprising that even a couple people from my generation would share interest in the hobby. I was in a coin shop in Carson City last summer, and the owner told me that business was becoming quite slow because of lack of interest from younger generations.
    The reason why I got into the hobby initially was wanting to find "that rare coin" in circulation and selling it. However, now, I would probably be called "crazy" by fellow members of my generation for paying $15 for a (Barber) quarter.
    Today, one of my friends just acquired a Britannia silver 2 pound, and I still have to get one to catch up! :D

CoinCorgi likes this.
  16. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Here's another reason. IMG_20190302_125605147_HDR.jpg

Legomaster1 likes this.
  17. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

I really don't know anymore, Its just so exciting and not only coins but military gear as well. Its all so interesting and the history behind it is so deep. The research factor of it is one of the biggest parts for me personally.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  18. Legomaster1

Exactly! It's interesting to hold that same 1900s silver dollar and consider what it's buying power was some 100 years ago.

19. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

One of my biggest things though, is a pair of old swords I have. They were mysteries and I revealed so much about them! I revealed through a year of research that they are 1790 west Kent pattern swords. Later used in the royal navy and possibly at the battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Its the same with coins but even more mysteries then with swords as swords you can trace but coins, well they are just up to your imagination. Swords.jpg

Legomaster1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted