What drives you to collect coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Monstermommy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I have to say I have no idea why I collect coins... but I do love it

I definitely have always had a touch of "pack rat" in me as I've collected everything since I was a kid, coins, comics, baseball cards etc. and I don't particularly consider myself a coin collector as I can't remember the last time that I actually purchased a coin, I really just collect coins that I find in circulation.

It all began when i was about 6 and me and my friend did a Lemonade stand one day and a kid gave me a 1928 penny and that was it.. ever since I would ask my parents to look through their change every day and still look through coins and if I find a Wheatie or a Wartime nickel it just goes into the jar...

Guess I just can't help it but I've accepted it... I like collecting coins.. there, I've said it..

Monstermommy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

It started out as just filling holes with my Grandfather. Now, I am driven to find beautiful or unusual designs with a compelling historical connection. I still think of my Grandfather often when hanging out with my collection.

Monstermommy likes this.
  4. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

It gives me something interesting to do with attainable goals. Plus I can decide what to collect, how to collect it, and when to move on to something else. In addition, I expect that myself or my heirs will have little trouble selling it when need be.

Monstermommy likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Mainly the history, but also the art. I too have a big collecting mentality and have dabbled in many things, with mainly comic books, action figures, & autographs sticking around.

But coins have been #1 for me since 1986.

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

A denarius was a lot of money -- about a full day's wages for a day-laborer or soldier.

Monstermommy likes this.
  7. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

I love history. I like circulated coins, and, as others have stated, think about the stories they could tell, lol. I just enjoy holding history in my hand. But, while I have far more invested in coins, I have a great appreciation for most all antiques, especially antique tools. I don't have enough antique tools to be considered a collection, but I could go a long way into filling the bed of a pickup truck! I love to build things using old hand tools, but, time generally dictates that I grab a power saw rather than a hand saw, a nail gun rather than a 150 year old hammer and nails. But, with coins, I've always got the "real" antique in hand. And, I love the thrill of the hunt. I like "filling the holes". I am more happy with a coin that has a readable date and mint mark, than to see a "hole" in my collection. I would rather have a complete collection of just "good" graded coins, then to have one coin that grades MS 65. But, don't misunderstand me, I really, really am glad that there are those of you that are able to have and preserve coins in the best grade possible. I love looking at your collections, not with envy, just a big smile. Me, I'm just an average "Joe", that likes history and historical things.

Monstermommy likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...yeah, but do you play with your coins, batting them around the kitchen floor until they go under the refrigerator? :)

wxcoin likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Honestly I can't say. Started collecting back in the 50's going through a cash register at a restaurant we used to eat at. I remember the elusive goal was a 1916 D Mercury Head Dime!!! Almost tripped out when I found a 1916 and saw a letter on the back, but of course it was an S. Enjoy having examples of different kinds of coins.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I think I do for a multitude of reasons. I too love the history and designs. But I also like the accumulating aspect of it. The store of wealth. The sense of accomplishment once you find something that's been really tough to acquire. The uniqueness of certain ones. The hope that the kids or grand kids can receive it some day and maybe continue it on.

I know I don't speak for all (but probably some) that for adults there just isn't a whole lot that gets you excited any more. Like getting a toy you really wanted on Christmas morning. That feelings hard to attain. Daily routines don't provide that feeling. Hoarding cash in a savings account at 0.05% interest doesn't do it for me. Although I've known some people who live to invest money and have no other hobbies. (Oh boy, you can stash $50k in a CD, make 2% interest and then pay tax on it!!) Know a guy that's well to do but worries about spending $60 on something he'd enjoy. Retired but wants to go back to work.
    Life's too short for that BS in my view. Lets say you forego any and all hobbies and don't have an ounce of fun your whole life and you can live to be 105. You saved up an incredible pile of cash and investments.

Well, you got stuck in a nursing home at 90. They confiscated everything you had by the time you were 93 (so in essence it didn't really matter how much you saved). Now you're sitting in a small room barely able to get around with nothing left but your thoughts and a nursing home cashing your social security checks. Did you win the game of life? That's assuming you get there! Some people don't make it to 60. Then the government or somebody else WILL happily spend it for ya!

Meh, if I get to the nursing home, I'll go with no regrets. Give me the latest X-Box and a 32" tv and I'll be happy.

Monstermommy and Cheech9712 like this.
  11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

My grandbabies faces. And trying to press them into their books. Big smiles

12. Cheech9712

That was lame. No really why. I need a better answer from you chris.

13. Cheech9712

You poor baby. Hear dat

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cute and true. Love those honest answers

15. Cheech9712

Now that coin has some history.

16. Cheech9712

Another great answer. This thread is interesting

17. Cheech9712

I would. But once on the floor. I need help getting up. I do love the floor. It's a safe place. No hurry to get up

Kentucky likes this.
  18. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Its territorial conquest only symbolic by capturing coins.

And so, coin collecting is not really expensive relative to the expense of infantry and cavalry. Or feeding a herd of elephants like Hannibal had to do.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  19. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

History & Beauty

Monstermommy likes this.
  20. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

What drives me is total insanity. Ah bliss:)

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, you're right! Actually, I want to have the best collection possible so I can sell everything for a big profit.

Chris

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted