What does everyone think 1892 Morgan dollar.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kozmo70, Apr 17, 2021.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I've given up trying to grade proofs from photos, because the grade depends on hairlines, and on proofs they usually only show at certain angles.

John Skelton, ToughCOINS and chascat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The coin makes a great impression in the shopped photos, but I honestly think if it were in hand, you would have a much different opinion of it.

psuman08 and ToughCOINS like this.
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Absolutely gorgeous PR 67. One of the nicest Morgan proofs I have seen.

eddiespin likes this.
  5. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I suspect most of the periphery on each side has been cleaned, but it is most evident around the stars.

7. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

PF63...where was that...?

8. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Wow...a real beauty, but am concerned about the toning, if natural or somehow applied/mfg. Otherwise, looks at least 67...maybe 68.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

After seeing the auction photos, I completely agree. They also give a much better interpretation of the coin in hand.

10. Morgandude11

Here are the non-juiced photos from the auction. Looks more like proof haze than a cleaning. TrueView photos are often so inaccurate looking. Also, toning does not look that pretty, without the TrueView flood of light. Not cleaned IMHO, but based on these pictures, not an ultra gem proof.

10E3F6B4-6DDB-4FD1-B541-67DE41B43B76.jpeg 2420ABEC-9D89-4F74-804D-2A7FD150667B.jpeg

capthank likes this.
  11. Kozmo70

Kozmo70 Active Member

I wish trueview were more accurate. Why do they do it the way they do?

Morgandude11 likes this.
  12. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

To get more money.

13. Morgandude11

Marketing. A lot of people buy high end coins sight-unseen. Also, PCGS thinks it looks better in their registry, and in high end sales. They perceive that it brings more buying and selling traffic.

As a very experienced Morgan collector, the TrueView made me think it was far more high grade than it is. After seeing the real auction photos, I now know the grade, and the coin’s true appearance. I will be honest, and admit that the TrueView suckered me, and I tend to be hypercritical of Morgans.

14. You can use the same conservation chemical as the TPG, send it in for grading, and it will come back as cleaned. Break it out of the holder, send it back to them and ask them to conserve it and it will come back graded.

UncleScroge likes this.
  15. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

Wouldn't PCGS have caught it?

16. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Each to his own, but investment in coins is not very lucrative unless said coins are truly rare. The money you spent in the past 10 years on non-rare coins would have been much better utilized in the stock market. Of course, very few (including me) saw it coming. If you attach sentimental value to your coin "investments", then go for it, just don't expect to accumulate much wealth over the years.

17. Kozmo70

Kozmo70 Active Member

Oh I play the stock game too, it is more of a hobby and investment. Instead of wasting money on cars, I get to hold history in my hands and gain knowledge of our past and that is an investment you can’t put a price tag on.

18. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yes and, personally I think PCGS did catch it, and then forgave it, whatever their motivations.

From the originally posted photos, conscious efforts at cleaning are evident to me at the following locations:
    • Between the rim and stars 1, 2, 9, 10 & 11
    • Between stars 8 & 9, 9 & 10, 10 & 11, 11 & 12 and 12 & 13
    • Between star 13 and the date
    • Area surrounding the date
    • Between L & U in PLURIBUS
    • Surrounding the B in PLURIBUS
    • Between the rim and the LH star and UN of UNITED
    From the photos posted by @Morgandude11 I believe much more cleaning of this coin took place that is not revealed by the originally posted photos.

An in-hand examination of this coin almost certainly would deter all who would show up with enough funds to buy a true gem coin.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  19. Morgandude11

ToughCOINS is correct. The appearance of this coin, whether cleaned, as he believes, or just ugly and hazy, as I see it would prevent any “high roller” from bidding on it. It looks like a gorgeous, PR 67 or more from the TrueView, which would make it a $30,000 coin. As it is, one way or another, it is an impaired proof, barely worth $2,000.

chascat likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

PF 80 ...

upload_2021-6-27_15-10-10.png

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted