What does "Double Dot" mean?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Traci, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Traci

Traci Active Member

I saw that too that "double" is spelled wrong on some, which was not like my dad. Either way I just counted and I have 27 more rolls with that writing on them. Just going to take my time going through them. I'll let ya'll now if I find one:happy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Well, it could just be a die break or something, similar to BIE cents. The hype from 1965 and 1966 seems all to have not so much to do that it is an actual error or variety, but that it was being attributed to the Denver mint, so that since there were no 1965 D cents, this one could be said to have been one, though without a mint mark. I guess the coins, though being sold for high amounts at first, seems to have immediately died down. Perhaps the people buying them to collect were not impressed with them (perhaps recognized them only as a die break or something) or felt the 'error' was so insignificant that it would not support collectible. I think perhaps there must be the full amount out there of the ones that look like this, and possibly still hoarded, not because they are valuable, but because I have not really been seeing any around (except the couple that have been mentioned for sale), and that none seem to be in circulation. So perhaps, like many things that are hoarded, and valuable at the moment, but not later, are simply not put back in circulation. That kind of also makes sense, if people in the time were paying anywhere from say 6-20 dollars per coin for them and trying to sell them for up to 125.00 per coin. I think people are pretty reticent to throwing that kind of coin back in circulation for a penny value when they paid more for them. Sounds like a lot of people got hosed with these. double dot capture.jpg These ads were put in the 31 Mar 1966 paper in Kansas City:

Pickin and Grinin and iPen like this.
  4. Traci

Traci Active Member

Holy Cow! I wish I were alive in 1965 with my 27 rolls of these coins to sell at $1000 per roll!!! I found one that looked like the picture on eBay but when I looked at it with a loupe it was a pit of some sort and not raised. Same spot though. Interesting insights and article. Thanks @Kasia!

Kasia likes this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

These ads are the perfect example of how things get over-hyped when they are first discovered. With 50 years of hindsight we now know that all of the dealers that paid $1,000/roll for these cents likely were left holding the bag, and I'm not referring to a bag of cash.

Kasia and Traci like this.
  6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Hey gang! Just checked the six 65s I have but all were single dot and not doubled date. My best coin is Au58+RD so a great coin to use for comparison. one of the six had a weak dot but its graded (by yours truly, btw) at 55.

Traci...great info from CT, I was going to offer "wear cotton gloves" but another member beat me to it. You said there was no rush to get them out of the rolls, and I sort of agree since they will not be shifting around, just be careful and take your time. However, getting them at least into flips as a minimum will help preserve them against rubbing together. I was gifted 2 rolls of 1969-S cents in the 70s and I was in the military so I must have moved 20 times since then. I finally opened the rolls in 2011 looking for the famous DDO and discovered every coin had some sort of coin roll damage. Since then every coin I keep goes in a flip. ALL of my Morgan and Peace dollars are in Airtites

Coin Talk Forum...I have been a member for only a few months but have read every post since then and have learned TONS from our experts. So much, in fact, that it has spurred a paradigm shift in how I approach numismatism. And I've been collecting since the early 1960s!

Kudos to Coin Talk!

ldhair, mikenoodle and Traci like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I clearly remember the 1965 double dot.
    It was promoted as a way to fill the 1965 D slot in Whitman albums
    I looked for ages, and finally found one back then.
    No idea where it is today.

That is about all the info that I remember.
    It was probably bogus, but if you can remember, the Whitman albums had spaces for the 1965 D cent.
    They were printed a year or two in advance

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Well now you'll have to find it. A picture is worth more than 1000 words in this case.
    It's prob in a box in the garage, start digging.

9. William J Nicholson

William J Nicholson New Member

10. William J Nicholson

William J Nicholson New Member

I glad someone finally knows what a double dot 1965 penny is. I had 10 back in 65 but traded a few to friends. I still have 4 in mint condition and have been trying to find out if anyone knew what I was talking about I quit collecting years ago and am ready to turn the collection over to my grandson in a couple more years. Also I remember the KC Star mentioning the error which got me looking but never saw the posted articles about worth. I can't figure out how to post a picture but it is just an extra raised dot under the e of e pluribus unum

11. Treashunt

To my knowledge they are virtually worthless today.

sorry

12. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Traci I wonder if the writing "Double dot etc?" was intended by your father as a reminder to himself of why he saved these rolls. Ie, so he could search for the double dot or other errors at some point down the line.

Etcherman likes this.
  13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I could be wrong but dyslexia affect people when they read words or numbers, not when they write them, unless they are transcribing something (i.e., they read it incorrectly so they write it incorrectly).

14. Treashunt

wow, I was just thinking that I haven't thought of these in many years.

15. Okla_homie

Okla_homie New Member

wOw, I wish i lived in 1965 to! :banghead:

16. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Not to encourage the reincarnation of necro-threads, but why is there ZERO info about these double-dots?

You'd think with all the hoopla back in '65/'66, some of it would have carried on through the years? :panda:

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Hey @Traci
    So, I found one in an antique store.
    Here is the infamous doubled dot cent.
    It actually looks to me like a counter clash.
    upload_2021-11-11_10-1-51.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-11_10-2-8.jpeg

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

NO! Those are 2x2s. Flips are soft plastic and are clear with no white. Flips are what you submit coins to the TPGs in.

This is a flip:

B2BBE0B6-CEAC-4D73-A591-DAE82B8BF65B.jpeg

19. Treashunt

Then you'd be old today

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I'm old. I had my 9th B'day in 1965.

But there were a lot of fun things I did with my friends and my brother. Life was good in many ways then.

Draft saved Draft deleted