What does "Double Dot" mean?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Traci, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Traci

Traci Active Member

Several of the rolls I'm going through are marked "Double Dot cents". I cant find this term in the Red Book or the Lincoln Resource website. When I google it all the comes up is info about an Australian coin. Is this a real thing or an outdated term? WIN_20180115_15_17_15_Pro.jpg WIN_20180115_15_18_26_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

tmeyer, ldhair and Traci like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps @Treashunt can shed additional light upon the subject considering his post in the link @mikenoodle kindly provided.

Still, I can't help but to wonder what is written on the roll below the "e" in "double". Perhaps an oddly shaped question mark? If so, my guess would be that this may have been written as a reminder of a possibility as opposed being a description of what the roll contains.

Traci likes this.
  5. Traci

Traci Active Member

Kasia likes this.
  6. Traci

Traci Active Member

Very true, I know that's my dad's writing but it was always hard to read. I'll let ya'll know if I find the two dots the article described!

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

If the plan was to tear the roll open either way, I certainly wish the best of luck and look forward to hearing of any discoveries. However, if memory serves me, 1965 wasn't a plentiful year for varieties, so perhaps it wouldn't hurt to wait for further responses?

If an original roll, there's always a possibility of finding a superb gem example. A very remote possibility, yes, but still.

Traci likes this.
  8. Traci

Traci Active Member

You are right, I will wait and see what other responses I get. I was going to open it anyway but there's no rush!

9. mikenoodle

@BooksB4Coins The article speaks about the potential identification of 1965 Cents being minted at Denver. Even if you could identify Denver Cents from 1965, would there be enough interest or information for them to be listed as an official variety?

Would the TPGs then have a 1965 (D) Cent certification like the 2012 (S) ASEs?

Traci likes this.
  10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

11. BooksB4Coins

I read it, but simply don't know what to make of it. The evidence, while suggestive, doesn't strike me as sufficient to state as unquestionable fact that such coins indeed came from Denver. Of course this type of thing hasn't stopped the TPGs before...

Really, I'm to the point of believing that collector interest comes in a distant second when an opportunity to create a false market presents itself. After all, the dollar is almighty (if you know what I mean).

12. mikenoodle

agreed. The flip opportunity is generally the best place to make your money on anything. Once that ship has sailed, however, it's game over.

eddiespin and Traci like this.
  13. Traci

Traci Active Member

I just went through the roll and didn't see any that had and extra dot. I saw one that looked like it had a dot missing. Kinda weird but no extra dot. I guess I'll end up going through the other rolls at some point. Pretty coins though.

14. mikenoodle

Something to keep in mind, Traci, is that 1,497,224,900 US Cents were minted with a 1965 date.

The chances of anything being rare or collectible from those kind of numbers is almost impossible.

They can, however, be fun to search and if I read your posts correctly, you did exactly that. Coin collecting is fun!

Traci likes this.
  15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Have heard of this. Would like to see a photo.
    The 1966 article claims only 5,000-10,000 of these.
    I think I have a couple of 1965's I will have to dig them out.
    Thanks for the homework teach.

16. Traci

Traci Active Member

I would like to see a picture too. I think there may have been one in the article links that @Kasia and @mikenoodle posted but I couldn’t view it. I still have many rolls to go through but even if I don’t find any it’s fun to search!

mikenoodle likes this.
  17. Kasia

I have not seen a photo.

18. Traci

Traci Active Member

Poo I was hoping you could describe it to me. I’m gonna try to find one. There has to be one somewhere.:snaphappy:

19. Kasia

the coin is supposed to have two dots to the left of unum instead of one on each side

[​IMG]

paddyman98 and Traci like this.
  20. Kasia

21. Traci

Traci Active Member

I’ll keep looking through my rolls. I have found a few weird things. But I’m gonna try to figure them out myself before blowing the forums up with my questions that I can probably answer myself with just some research. Everyone has been great about helping me!

Kasia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted