what does a 1776 contential currency coin weigh

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by irisheyes, Feb 21, 2012.

1. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

come on someone has to have at least one good reason !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I think the most glaring item that I haven't heard anyone mention so far is that if this were designed for use in Hong Kong sometime between 1776 and 1876 then the words "Hong Kong" would not be in english but rather in whatever chinese dialect that was most common in Hong Kong at the time.

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Obviously, you are fishing to get verification of authenticity which no one will give you.

The only way is to submit it. The ANA has a verification service.

Once you have it verified and authenticated, then come back here and prove everybody wrong.

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

That's from china's branch mint in
    the Yap Islands. You can get the
    MyYaplite version cast in tainted
    drywall mud and weighing only
    3.4 grams. :)

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I know I am stupid, but one last attempt:

The words HONG KONG could not have been added later. If they were, the opposite side of the coin would have been smashed in. Therefor, HONG KONG was part of the coin from the beginning. Second, you have no idea if the silver colored coating is silver. Please do not act like you know that for a fact. Have it tested and show us results if you want us to believe its really silver. I have seen many fakes like yours, the silver colored metal is a cheap pot metal, not real silver. Since that will turn out to be true, you trying to say these were for circulation is false since anyone accepting these ould test the coin for silver and it would fail.

These are just a few reasons, above and beyond the obvious, slap you in the face, fact that it says HONG KONG on it, why your coin is a fake and any dealer in the country would not offer you more than a quarter for it.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Much closer to silver. Silver is 10.5 gm/cc, Lead is 11.35 gm/cc, and gold is 18.88 gm/cc.

It says Hong Kong because it was made there. It is plated base metal be cause it is supposed to look like a silver or pewter piece. And from the general style and lettering I would say made in the 1970's.

8. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

Thank you Ziggy 9 for an answer I will check up on i
    that right away

THANKS AGAIN

I appreciate you aking the time to give me a proper answer ...the first one yet

9. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

Irisheyes, why are your posts so filled with anger and antagonism?
    You really need to chill out.

10. Kelly mcanally

Kelly mcanally New Member

I have a 1776 Fugio contanital currency coin I believe to be made of pewter. I can easily mark on a piece of paper with it. The word currency is slept with only one "R" "curency". It has visible pock marks. Weight is 24 grams. Can't find the word copy or replica any where on it. Smooth sides. Doesn't have the name Becker anywhere on it either so I don't believe it's a Becker copy. Can someone help me with determining whether I have a authentic piece or not?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Weight varies for the tin/pewter ones from 16.7 to 18.9 grams. Yours is one of the tens of thousands of fakes that are floating around out there.

12. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

Irisheyes I apologize for my fellow collector. Your coin is easily the most valuable coin know to exist. Actually it may be (by weight) the most valuable object know to man. Putting a value on it is essentially impossible but it is easily in the trillions of dollars (USD).

This coin is actually cast from molten lead recovered by the last members of the Knights Templar who had fled to the American Colonies. As the American Revolution was brewing these last noble men knew America was the future and would be a new nation built on the ideals of freedom and liberty.

They knew the struggle of the Colonies to gain their freedom from the tyranny of the English Monarchy would be no easy task. So they meet in secret in the deep woods of the Pine Barrens in modern day New Jersey to perform a powerful ritual to summon the ancient god of Hephaestus. The ritual worked and the Greek God of Fire promised to instill the boiling range of the might volcano into the Colonies. To seal their pact the God gave these Knights of Templar exactly 14.9 grams of molten lead take from the Earth's core.

And so fate was written.

PS: Oh the whole "HONG KONG" stamping was time traveling aliens working with Chinese Bigfoot or something. I forget.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You're such an ass. There's absolutely NO reason for you to be so rude and condescending to a young lady here only to ask a simple question, but as you've proven time and time again, we should expect no less of you.

14. planman2014

A) This is apparently a 4 year old thread that another member posted a reply to.

B) The OP was an obvious troll and be treated as such.

There is a reason THIS forum (Unlike NGC or PCGS forum) is flooded with bs post like this daily and the others are not..........members keep feeding the trolls.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

How do you know it's a troll? I think a lot of folks who don't know anything about what they found/inherited join here to ask. Plain and simple. WAY back in the day, I messaged an eBay seller whether his 1836 half dollar was a reeded edge or lettered edge. NOW I know that the whole design for the reeded edge was different. But at the time all I had was a Redbook with no pictures saying that the lettered edge was worth $150 and the reeded edge was worth $3000. That eBay seller kindly messaged me back and explained the difference. I was grateful, even though I felt stupid after he explained.

Know what happened to me earlier this year? - An eBay buyer asked me the exact same question: Was my 1836 Capped Bust Half Dollar a reeded or lettered edge.

How do you think I answered him?

16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

There was no Chinese city HONG KONG in 1776. Back then, the little fishing community (population 76 counting several ox, some goats and pigs) was named Kong Hong! They used acorns, skins, and fish hooks for money. Anything marked Hong Kong dated before 1794 is a fake. Hope this will convince you to beleive what others have posted.

17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"NEW MEMBER" with ONE POST to her name very simply asks for help, and because of this she deserves to by called a "troll" be the forum schmo patrol? Is it beyond your ability to comprehend the fact that she probably isn't familiar with forum etiquette and therefore doesn't deserve your attack?

Again and again and again you jump into threads for the sole purpose of making baseless accusations and calling others "trolls" without the slightest cause or reason. Compare this to the tame actions of those you've repeatedly attacked and ask yourself who the "obvious troll" really is.

18. planman2014

No it was not her question but her slew of responses afterwards that makes it perfectly clear she was a troll to everybody....well except you and a few others.

Again there are multiple coin forums and this one is the only one with a runaway problem of people posting threads with obvious fakes. Wonder why? A big conspiracy? No because this forum is way, way too nice to obvious trolls. These are people looking for attention and people like you enable it.

19. planman2014

When she posted this:

"I seen two fakes today and they are nothing like mine at all they are toy coins the type you used for tokens at kids play center

has anyone found another coin on the face of the planet stamped HONG \KONG

why would anyone make such a coin in silver plated copper obviuosly it was not to try and fool someone

so if they wanted it to be special and maybe ask an extra few bucks for it why would they deface the words that commit the coin to what it was made to be a symbol of freedom in AMERICA and them put HONG KONG ON IT

it does not make sense ...come on HOBO lets hear your best explanation ....in fact instead of a bunch of wise cracks ....Lets have a contest and see who can come up with the best explanation as to why my coin was made ....when and by who.

They have to at least make some sort of sense and they need to have one true fact from a reputable source ......I will give the winner my brand new 2012 coin world book and my new Canadian coins I might even through in a 1966 silver dollar"

This is the writing of an obvious troll. End of story. Easy as pie to identify.

20. planman2014

When she posted this:

"I seen two fakes today and they are nothing like mine at all they are toy coins the type you used for tokens at kids play center

has anyone found another coin on the face of the planet stamped HONG \KONG

why would anyone make such a coin in silver plated copper obviuosly it was not to try and fool someone

so if they wanted it to be special and maybe ask an extra few bucks for it why would they deface the words that commit the coin to what it was made to be a symbol of freedom in AMERICA and them put HONG KONG ON IT

it does not make sense ...come on HOBO lets hear your best explanation ....in fact instead of a bunch of wise cracks ....Lets have a contest and see who can come up with the best explanation as to why my coin was made ....when and by who.

They have to at least make some sort of sense and they need to have one true fact from a reputable source ......I will give the winner my brand new 2012 coin world book and my new Canadian coins I might even through in a 1966 silver dollar"

This is the writing of an obvious troll. End of story. Easy as pie to identify.

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Dude. We're talking about Kelly, not irish. Read the whole thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted