what does a 1776 contential currency coin weigh

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by irisheyes, Feb 21, 2012.

1. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

well that depends if it is silver pewter copper ...real ...fake ...or silver plated copper

does anyone know ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

35 tons.

devil made me say it :devil:

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Tin or pewter 15.03 - 18.51 grams. Copper 14.4 - 15.17 grams. Silver 23.5 - 24.3 grams. Those are for genuine pieces, fakes or copies could weigh anything.

5. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

6. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

well mine weighs 14.9 and if you look closer those are not casting bubbles they are little black spots and they are only on the dark blackened areas

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

There you have it. Congratulations! The best thing now is to send it in and get it slabbed and certified. That should run you about $65 or so.

Let us know when it gets certified.

[​IMG]

8. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I think you're in for a long wait...

9. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

I seen two fakes today and they are nothing like mine at all they are toy coins the type you used for tokens at kids play center

has anyone found another coin on the face of the planet stamped HONG \KONG

why would anyone make such a coin in silver plated copper obviuosly it was not to try and fool someone

so if they wanted it to be special and maybe ask an extra few bucks for it why would they deface the words that commit the coin to what it was made to be a symbol of freedom in AMERICA and them put HONG KONG ON IT

it does not make sense ...come on HOBO lets hear your best explanation ....in fact instead of a bunch of wise cracks ....Lets have a contest and see who can come up with the best explanation as to why my coin was made ....when and by who.

They have to at least make some sort of sense and they need to have one true fact from a reputable source ......I will give the winner my brand new 2012 coin world book and my new Canadian coins I might even through in a 1966 silver dollar

10. Owle

Owle Junior Member

We had a lead one once, it must have been fake, before the days when it was required to print "COPY" on fakes, because it is, you know, against the law, but one of the reasons for the proliferation of all the beautiful fakes is to give coin dealers and the grading services something to do and joke about.

And lead almost weighs as much as gold per volume, there may be some chemists who could verify that. And there is the old question what weighs more, a pound of feathers, lead or gold, and the average little school boy or girl will answer "the same!"

Not so. Actually the gold weighs the least, because it is weighed according to a different measure, I seem to recall seeing that proved in the Monty Python movie where they are in a search for the Holy Grail. And if you will excuse me my keepers are coming, they have a capsule prepared for yours truly, the men in the white coats...

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Oh, it makes plenty of sense to most of us.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

So......what did your "expert" say Irisheyes? I never heard you comment on what your "real expert", (implying all of us here on CT are noobies), said about your "thing"?

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Why drag ME into this mess again? Like everyone else here, I have already told you it is a cast counterfeit but for some reason you refuse to believe that. You seem to be certain that your coin is the Holy Grail and, therefore, is extrememly valuable.

Because you asked for my "best explanation" of your coin (and just to placate you) I will offer up this possibility:

It is a cast fake. I have no idea why someone would make a Continental Currency coin with Hong Kong on the reverse. It is not a genuine piece. Learn to accept that fact.

14. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

Oh geez, not again..........

Attached Files:

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

They are casting bubbles... But what I really want to know is how do you explain the mushy details...

I mean the coin says HONG KONG for cripes sake...

And for your info irisheyes.... I believe our friend Hobo has instructed counterfeit detection classes.... But what does he know... Right?

16. This. Thread. Is. Useless. Without. Pictures!

17. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

Question, Irisheyes, when do you think this (meaning yours) coin was made?

18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

She has several other threads asking similar questions about this piece. Some of those threads have photos.

19. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Oh now Ikandiggit best not send such a valuable piece in the mail. Fly to Cali and do the walkthrough service, then if you don't get the answer you want from Pcgs, fly to Florida and do the walk through service and if all else fails fly to Ohio and goto SGS we know he'll know its legit

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I know it's late, and my eyes ain't what they used to be, but was Doug actin' frisky earlier in this thread? :)

21. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

I think it was made somewhere between 1776 and 1876

it could have started out as a different coin all together and later altered

or it could have been made to look like it had been made at an earlier time and hong kong had been added yeras later

this is getting confusing

what I think is the coin was either made as an example for use in hong kong but never went into production

...or I think someone made it in hopes of passing it through as an accepted coin

maybe they thought as long as they had a counter mark they could slip them through with the real silver coins that were supposed to make when they got silver from france that explains why HONG KoNG IS STAMPED ON THE COIN and why the coin IS COPPER PLATED WITH SILVER ...and there is alot of documented facts to back it up

Unlike HOBO who managed to come up with I DONT KNOW thats a good one

but at least he made an attempt ....anyone else ?

Draft saved Draft deleted