What do you think?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rp3989, Apr 13, 2016.

1. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

I just recently acquired this large cent. My very first. There seems to be something that looks like rust but at first thought was dirt. Your thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated 1845 Large Cent ObverseSM.JPG 1845 Large Cent ReverseSM.JPG .

GSDykes likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

good piece of history, low grade

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like corrosion to me.

5. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Really? I think that is just built up hardened dirt.

6. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Looks corroded to me, too. Wouldn't really want to see what is underneath the crusty stuff, but perhaps that will be necessary in order to prevent further deterioration.

Steve

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Corroded. The "sand" colored stuff is like dirt. Hope you did not pay much but its a good coin to "play" with and learn some stuff.

First step. Soak in Coin Care. DO NOT put acetone on it yet as that will dry it out and remove very little.

Just saw you are a new member. You don't need to "play" with it. Soak it in olive oil for awhile.

8. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Do you really have 428 messages already since just March 17, 2016? Wow, amazing! Ha, ha!

noname likes this.
  9. Insider

Corroded. Sand color is dirt. Do not put acetone on it as it will dry it out. For a start, soak it in olive oil for awhile. That will make it look better.

Now my brother from another mother: Some tough love. Look at the large cents on Ebay to get an idea what circulated cents of this type look like. Don't buy coins with dark color, pits, lumps or scratches. After the soak, post another photo and me and the guys will add more.

GSDykes likes this.
  10. Insider

NOTE: For "ex-perts" only. This is a coin that cries out for ultrasonic treatment! Less than a minute and we're ready to tackle the corrosion.:yawn:

11. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

One technique I've used to get the crud off is to lightly massage vasoline on the coin, then rinse with a gentle dish soap. Be very careful to let the vasoline do the work. Gentle is better. Then proceed with the olive oil soak.

I've found the vasoline helps to even out the color on coins like yours. I would not use this method with a mint state copper, but with yours, any damage is already done.

12. Insider

Your advice is good - Vasoline will do wonders on this coin. Unfortunately, it is best that collectors NEVER rub their coins with anything - even this coin, and go with the soak as a first step.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Nothing compared to that one kid who, not too long ago, nailed out something nutty like 126 within like 18 hours. ;)

Daniel Jones likes this.
  14. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Daniel Jones likes this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Says 13 messages for me.

OP, looks like a dug coin. Probably a little bit of cleaning was done, at least a bath.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Daniel Jones was talking about me

Daniel Jones likes this.
  17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Oh. Yeah you do have a lot of posts.

18. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

Thanks everyone. I will start with the olive oil ( I love olive oil) soak. I will let it soak until someone suggests a length of time (my default 1 week). I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions. Its only 13 messages. Am truly new to the site.

19. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

Still soaking the large cent. Will take a look this weekend and see if there is any improvement.

Stevearino likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Olive oil is a tried and true method for ancient coins, but from what I have read tends to darken the coins. It will be interesting to see what yours looks like, compared to silver, copper based coins are REALLY difficult to do much with.

21. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

After 2 weeks of soaking in olive oil, here's what the coin looks like. I'm a little disappointed the crud like stuff is not dirt. But nevertheless i like my coin. 1845 Large Cent Post Soak ObverseSM.JPG 1845 Large Cent Post Soak ReverseSM.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted