What do you think this would sell for at a good auction?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ldhair, Oct 24, 2019.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The obverse color and darkness is close to the second image.
    1909-1c.jpg Image_0955.JPG Image_0960.JPG

furham, 352sdeer, LA_Geezer and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice PIDT also!

5. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Knowing little about it beside being the proud owner of a similar PCGS 65 RB, no DDO, I'd say this one goes for at very least 100$, or very close to it. The DDO designation should help it up. Obverse toning nice and the reverse is just phenomenal.

6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

In the PCGS price guide in that grade the coin books for $2000. Even a MS66RB 1909 VDB without the DDO books for $175.

Edited: I think the grade is pretty close. With the toning the coin should be able to garner close to book price.

7. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

That toning makes my mouth water it’s so nice! I’d give $100 all day long

Reed

Mike185 likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

The color should bring a premium.
    Some might scoff at the Anacs holder even though the grade looks appropriate from the photo.

I found a PCGS MS 65 RB that sold on eBay for $455 recently (see link below). That one doesn't look as nice as your example.
    There are some MS 66 RB examples listed in the $750-$1k range, but again none appear to be nicely toned (and they are just listings, not sold items).
    I'd guess in the $450-$650 range as a safe estimate. If two bidders really like it, anything is possible.

Maybe someone like @robec could give us a better idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-VDB-DDO-Doubled-Die-Obverse-PCGS-MS65-RB-RED-Brown-LINCOLN-Wheat-Cent-/153660660734?hash=item23c6e39bfe:g:Z3wAAOSwWeJdbCUi&nma=true&si=n%2F4e2Uxj4GzzZMJI73SlqwAYLew%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

9. robec

robec Junior Member

The big money is for DDO Die #1. I'm not sure what the drop off would be between Die #1 and Die #2. I honestly didn't know there were two different dies. Die #1 there is obviously doubling, but I don't see much on Die #2.

With the toning if Larry's DDO was Die #1 it would go for well over $1000. As a Die #2 I have no idea.........$500-$700 maybe?

ddddd likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Both die 1 and 2 are listed in the CPG with some interesting words.
    "Die 2 is scarcer but less evident and usually more difficult to sell."

Tough coin to put a value on. I'll stick it in an auction, one of these days.

Amos 811 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted