What do you think this is?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Oct 28, 2020.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I don't understand your statement. The photos I posted, from auctions, appear to show an "incision" (for lack of a better term) in the same location and of the same size and configuration as what is posted by ToughCoins. Why do you say "not even close?" Please explain.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, on the coins you posted (thanks for looking) the marks not the same in severity, style, or location. Therefore, I wrote they are not close. The moderator posted a coin with similar "scratch-like" lines in four different places. The shape of the tiny furrows looks similar to the image I posted only not as obvious.

QUOTE="ksparrow, post: 4979010, member: 7638"]Insider, do you believe the coin in the OP is scratched, or more likely the result of hub retouching?[/QUOTE]

Without ever seeing one of these coins in hand, I don't know what caused it. Retouching a hub is my best guess for now. I cannot get on to CU or I would ask the OP coins owner to send it to me. As for the image in the OP, I've gone from 100% scratch to 30% scratch and 70% other based on Toughcoins image.

-jeffB likes this.
  4. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

OK, I will do some further analysis when I have time. Lighting and die states may have some impact on the appearance of the lesions. We can agree to disagree.
    I like the approach of using %probability in these settings as things are rarely black/white Yay/Nay. I turned up another example from DLRC if you care to have a look:
    [​IMG]

Stevearino and Heavymetal like this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm not sure i agree that the furrow in the OP's photo is closer to the design.

Please reconsider with the following variables in mind . . . (1) the two photos are not aligned angularly, (2) shadows can greatly affect your perception of the true proximity of features, and (3) the scale of the two photos are not nearly the same.

I emphatically agree.

Insider likes this.
  6. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Nope. Nothing like the OP image. Thanks for looking.

Draft saved Draft deleted