What do you think this is?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I took this image from another site. The owner thinks it may be machine doubled or a triple strike. One poster replied it cannot be a scratch because it looks wavy. They called in Fred for an opinion.

[​IMG]

:rolleyes: Can someone help them out? What is this and why?

longshot likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

It would be helpful to know what coin it is and see a full picture.

4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that is a feather on a buffalo nickel. Maybe die stutter? Is it anywhere else on the coin?

Insider likes this.
  5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Very deceptive picture, looks like two lines but I think it is one die crack, looks raised from the image

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

Never mind. Now I understand what is going on at the other forum. The coin is a Buffalo nickel with a scratch. Thanks for the replies! ;)

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think that detail is in the master hub. I see it reproduced on examples of many dates, some more distinct than others.

8. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

That's a strange looking scratch. I see a central depressed thin line, with a raised, thick border on either side. Scratches I have examined show a central incuse line with a very narrow raised border on the edges, which wears down along with the rest of the coin. Would be interesting to see some other examples of what ToughCoins is posting about.

9. Insider

I'd sure like to see just one example. I don't know the date. The OP did not say.

I'd like to see one of Tough coins examples also. I'm wondering what the difference is between a depressed line and an incuse line. IMO, what you have described is a thin scratch and a thick scratch. Both have a furrow into the surface and raised borders (until they are worn down).

I have an open mind but the ONLY other thing this can be is a raised die break. EDIT: NOPE, it is a SCRATCH.

10. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Any bets on a staple scratch from another 2x2 holder?
    Remember to flatten your staples Ladies and Gentlemen.

11. Insider

The coin is a 1926-P. Furthermore, the only type of staple that could make a scratch this wide MIGHT be found in a hospital or construction site.

12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Add print shop.
    I've got some 25x50 stainless steel sticher wire that could devalue a coin quick enough.

I was really just doing a PSA and reminding people to flatten their staples.

Insider likes this.
  13. ksparrow

Ok, I'll just call it a line into the surface of the coin (forget incuse and depressed) and raised metal on either size which appears to me far in excess to the volume of the line.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. ksparrow

heritage 26 P obv.jpg [​IMG]have a look at these 2 and examine the area in question. Similar? heritage 26 P obv.jpg

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  15. ksparrow

[​IMG]sold on Legend Jan 30

Insider likes this.
  16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Below is a screenshot of the very first image I examined . . . a 1913 TY 1 (P) from CoinFacts.

upload_2020-10-29_1-29-7.png
    I saw the same on coins of other dates I sampled as well. Thus, my conclusion that it is in the master hub. It need not show up on all coins, as erosion of working dies will remove those details over time.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

[​IMG]

Well, both images sure look like a match to me. And it's just a guess on my part but that seems to rule out the scratch on the coin theory.

Now as for the hub theory, seems like a good probability. Here's why. The Buffs from 1913-15 were all from the same hub. But in 1916 they changed the hub and these are the changes they made -

revised obv: letters sharper, head outline changed. Field texture on the obverse all gone. Reverse fields remained textured to the end, although the texture fades a little each year.

There were no more hub changes through 1938.

Given the hub changes that were made in 1916, the area in question was left alone. So it seems to stand to reason that the same detail, obviously present on the 1913 coin and the 1926 coin we can see, was indeed on the master hub.

Others may disagree but I can't think of another possible explanation right now. If anybody else can, please speak up.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Insider

@ksparro

IMO, none of your coins are even close.

@ToughCOINS

Thanks for taking the time to back up your opinion. This image is close enough for me to research something I've never seen before. The image below has a "furrow" that is similar to the OP coin. It is in a much different position - closer to the design. The coin below has FOUR furrows in different parts of its design. Until I find and get one of these coins under my scope, I don't know exactly what caused this. I do not believe it is on the hub because I would have seen this characteristic on at least one nickel SOMETIME in fifty years!

One thing for certain: The coin below is NOT SCRATCHED.

[​IMG]

RonSanderson likes this.
  19. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Here's a 1926-D from PCGS with similar at the feather, and also where the shoulder meets the neck. However, there is also apparent tripling of Liberty so maybe this one is something else. Not sure if you can zoom this image far enough and I'm too lazy to chop it up in Paint but I could try.
    1926-D_5c_37241369_164571468_2200.jpg

20. Insider

Since the lines are into the coin's surface, I'll bet the engraver touched up a hub at some point. Into the hub, raised on the die, into the coin. Very interesting. I'll be looking.;)

21. ksparrow

Insider, do you believe the coin in the OP is scratched, or more likely the result of hub retouching?

Draft saved Draft deleted