What do you think of these 3 different old 5 lire Italy coins - Repros? Real

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 19mustang67, Jan 26, 2018.

1. 19mustang67

19mustang67 New Member

These 3 coins were in a box of random collectible old stuff I bought at an auction. There were other good silver US coins in the lot. All 3 of these coins have Fert on the coin edges. Please see pics of coins and Fert edge. Any ideas as to real or not appreciated.

Attached Files:

sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

It refers to the Royal house of Savoy-Sardinia in Italy where your coin are from.

4. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

they all look good to me.

5. 19mustang67

19mustang67 New Member

Hmmm... interesting. I was prepared to hear - fake 100%! etc. - You think they are good because of the quality of the details, the look? Any other giveaways that would indicate these are real coins verse fakes / repros? Thank you!

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

You should weigh them, check their diameter, and check for magnetism first.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

well the 1911 should weigh 25.000 grams of .900 silver and all pretty valuable all should weigh 25.000 grams .900 silver

8. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

maybe lightly cleaned letters look ok, edge on the 1911 looks questionable, were did you get them?

9. 19mustang67

19mustang67 New Member

Yep first thing I did was check with a magnet. They are not magnetic. Unfortunately I do not have a scale small enough to weigh them. Will need to buy one. Anyone know what the diameter should be in inches? I can measure that fairly easy if it would help.

10. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

1813 is Naples, 1848 is Venice, 1911 is Kingdom, diameter? sorry, and all were faked through the years, but I'm not seeing it, I've only seen a cast 1848 and it was obvious, wait for more replies.

11. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

No expert, but this one looks quite iffy to me. I agree, weigh them next. Screenshot_20180126-190723.png

12. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

37.5 mm diameter

13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I have no experience with these particular coins, but nothing screams obviously fake to me. As someone else said, check weight and size. You should be able to find that info on Numista.

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

All of them look wrong to me - they do not look silver. Might want to check the weight. The strikes look odd as well.

15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I just did a comparison of the 1848 and 1911 with the entries for those coins on Numista (couldn't find the 1813, but possibly didn't look hard enough).

The 1911 looks genuine to me. If it's a copy, it's a very good one.

The 1848, however, had enough inconsistencies to make me suspicious.

16. amorris

amorris Member

I know nothing about what the coins Should look like, but to me they look fake. But I'm really not at all and expert on Italian coinage, I'm just thinking that on the spectrum of real, and Chinese-Vendor-At-The-Flea-Market, it leans toward the latter.

17. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

18. 19mustang67

19mustang67 New Member

I looked on aliexpress at the 1813 coin. None of the coins for sale on there match mine exactly. By looking at the back of the coin I can see obvious differences in the details. I'm thinking that if these coins are fakes they are probably older fakes. Also they have the Fert on the edge. Doubt the modern fakers are bothering to do that.

I used my wifes little kitchen scale to weigh the coins. It is not digital. They are all around 23 grams according to this cheap scale. A little light?

They measure just slightly under 1 1/2 inches in diameter. That seems right. Still not sure. I do agree on the 1911 I feel like that coin is the most likely to be genuine. Then I think if it is good what is it doing with other copies?

Maybe they are all ok? Or all bad? Going to try and post on the Italian coin forum although I only know English so that should be interesting.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and help!

19. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I have a counterfeit Chinese 1 yuan coin which at that time of exchange rate was 12 US cents. You can see where I am coming from - pretty much anything else is worthwhile to be counterfeited.

20. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a real 1813 Napoleon like the one you posted. Compare the photos, you can see a lot of difference in the devices. So i vote that ones fake.Most likely the others are fakes too. Hope you didn't pay too much for them. http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=18681

longshot likes this.
  21. 19mustang67

19mustang67 New Member

Just for future readers who may have similar coins. I posted on an Italian coin forum and was told immediately by multiple people that they are all fake coins. Bummer but I am not surprised. Had some fun hoping just maybe they could be the real deal.

Here is a quote from one of the replies there:

"FERT can only be found on the edge of some coins minted under the Kingdom of Savoy;impossible to find FERT on coins of Venice and the kingdom of the two Sicily.
    They are all copies (and perhaps not even in silver)."

Guess that about sums it up.

serafino and longshot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted