What do you think of recent super low mintage U.S. Mint issues?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, May 6, 2015.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Sorry, this isn't an MoF dime set thread, but it's kind of related.

I personally believe they will be the keys for all of the current coin series, by the time the mint finishes. And, I do say finishes because many of the currents series are scheduled to end or are long past time to, and the mint would shoot itself in the foot (not highly unlikely) if it undermined the current low mintage keys it sold to us. The mint could continue its profits by selling keys to the new series.

What do you think? Ok, you can post even if you don’t agree.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    Well I must say As Roosevelt dime collector I was tempted. However I only collect 46 through 64. As for the proofs not interested unless they fall between 46-64. This series has lasted way to long. As has the Jefferson nickel that I also collect,the Washington quarter . Half dollars as well as dollar coins are a dying breed.
    Now if I were to expand into the clad years of Roosevelt's as a variety collector I could not settle for anything less than the years with the missing mint marks. That are so expensive to me it's not worth it.
    I have a Jefferson 71 s no s in Proof 67 deep camo I love to sell. As at one point it was a had to have item, now it's a white elephant to me. Yes it's a pretty coin but way under the radar of most collectors . Plus does not count in a registry set.
    I'm sure these new dimes are going to be pretty. As like most new releases will be hot, go to Luke warm,then just be oh yeah that one of those dimes.
    I personally believe if the mint wanted to really shake up the numismatic world, they redesign our coinage to be more pleasing . Get rid of dead Presidents and revisit Americana.
    Some may say that train of thought is a move backwards.
    I believe it be a move to give us pride in our coined money,and jump start numismatics to the next level.

Hope1275, jello, carboni7e and 2 others like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, now I have to start a new dime collection. I recently bought a new Dansco page for my Roosy's and it lacks a slot for the reverse proof as well as the 'w' proof coins. Hind site states that I should have bought a blank page.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about First Spouse gold. My answer was going to be "I don't think about them much at all any more."

6. statequarterguy

I like the way your post brought up two issues. First, there are no holes for these issue, so it may hinder demand. Second, with today's communication age, collectors don't just fill holes at home with little contact with the outside world, they will know about these coins.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  7. statequarterguy

Concentrate! You have to stay focused and see it to the end. I stuck with the bu gold commems for 20 years and more then quadrupled my investment. Those first spouses could go to the moon with a little increased demand. Of course, the risk with them is that gold plummets before demand increases.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. green18

And 75,000 isn't super low, mintage wise, with something that doesn't circulate. Dare we hope for an new influx of collectors of Roosy's? Heck, the 2001 Buffalo buck is still sky high because of demand and look at the production numbers on that one. Could there be such a demand with these? Probably not, but I am a bit hopeful.

9. statequarterguy

Roosy collectors will grow, how much I don't know. I don't see any one under 60 collecting Merc sets and I see many kids collecting Roosies.

75k isn't super low? It's ony 15% of the Buffalo mintage.

10. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I love your enthusiasm statequarterguy, but I'm just not sure.

11. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

That's b/c gold have had gone up in the past 20 yrs not b/c of rarity or demand. I purchased 10 MOD sets b/c I've never purchased any coins from the mint in the past. IMO, never to buy any coins that was made yesterday.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  12. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Hey Ken,

I want the price to go higher on the 2001 Buffalos

100_6269.JPG 100_6272.JPG 100_6274.JPG

13. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Look at 1990s uncirculated gold commems, especially the Jackie Robinson $5. They are worth more than the gold content due to low mintages.

14. green18

@McBlzr

Keep rubbing it in John.......

rooman9 likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Gee, that's a relief! I was beginning to think that only people who agreed with you would be "qualified" to post.

I don't agree with you!

Chris

Spud Koolzip, 19Lyds and Chiefbullsit like this.
  16. Mintage is supply. To me, it is all about demand. A coin could have a very low mintage, but if nobody wants it, who cares? These modern day rarities are interesting, and only time will tell if they will maintain or increase in value.

17. green18

Chris? You don't agree with anyone........ devil.gif

19Lyds likes this.
  18. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well, I'll say that I buy the 1994 and 1997 Matte Proof Jefferson Nickels whenever possible. If I achieve my goal of hoarding every single one of them...the price just has to go up, right? haha...

Dilly dollar and green18 like this.
  19. green18

Right. :)

josh's coins and stldanceartist like this.
  20. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

Yeah I think so too.

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    Well I must say As Roosevelt dime collector I was tempted. However I only collect 46 through 64. As for the proofs not interested unless they fall between 46-64. This series has lasted way to long. As has the Jefferson nickel that I also collect,the Washington quarter . Half dollars as well as dollar coins are a dying breed.
    Now if I were to expand into the clad years of Roosevelt's as a variety collector I could not settle for anything less than the years with the missing mint marks. That are so expensive to me it's not worth it.
    I have a Jefferson 71 s no s in Proof 67 deep camo I love to sell. As at one point it was a had to have item, now it's a white elephant to me. Yes it's a pretty coin but way under the radar of most collectors . Plus does not count in a registry set.
    I'm sure these new dimes are going to be pretty. As like most new releases will be hot, go to Luke warm,then just be oh yeah that one of those dimes.
    I personally believe if the mint wanted to really shake up the numismatic world, they redesign our coinage to be more pleasing . Get rid of dead Presidents and revisit Americana.
    Some may say that train of thought is a move backwards.
    I believe it be a move to give us pride in our coined money,and jump start numismatics to the next level.

Hope1275, jello, carboni7e and 2 others like this.
  22. onecenter

onecenter Member

Draft saved Draft deleted