What do you think I should do with this IHC?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LA_Geezer, Sep 21, 2018.

1. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

This one arrived today, and after seeing it in hand, I'm tending toward leaving these three dots alone, just as @physics-fan3.14 says in his book. It was cheap — $15.61– and came with a companion 1902 that's about the same grade but sans the three dots. I just don't think I want to chance dipping this one in acetone. Thoughts?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Everyone here says acitone won’t hurt coins, so maybe just give it a shot?

LA_Geezer likes this.
  4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I'd dip it, but that's me.

(Edit: by "dip", I meant acetone.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    LA_Geezer likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'd try the acetone too.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The acetone will not hurt the coin, but if there is anything on the surface that is causing the corrosion, you need to remove that (someone likely sneezed on it, or something like that).

What you do *not* want to do is dip the coin - that will leave behind three even uglier spots, and an ugly, stripped bare coin.

There is a difference between acetone and dip, and a lot of people misuse the terms.

Kentucky and LA_Geezer like this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

To be honest I would probably use acetone first and then if still there, use Verdi-care on it. he latter may not completely do the job as it looks rather thick by photo, I have used Thads Verdi- products since the early days and never had problems with its action or slabbing afterwards. IMO, Jim

LA_Geezer likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I don't think acetone will touch that. Acetone works on organic crud and PVC plasticizer but this stuff looks like copper corrosion residue

LA_Geezer likes this.
  9. LA_Geezer

I thought that was the case, Jason, but I've only put silver coins in the acetone prior to this. In hand, those three little dots look like someone put a felt tipped pen onto the coin.

10. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

If those spots are felt tip ink acetone will remove them quickly ...I don't think they are though.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Either acetone or xylene on a q-tip and dab at it to see what happens.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It may look like that, but it is highly unlikely that is the cause.

Try the acetone, see what happens. Worst case, this is a low value coin and you gain some experience. Best case, you've stabilized the coin and prevented further corrosion, conserving the coin for future owners.

13. LA_Geezer

I tried the Q-tip suggestion first, but no cigar; Mr vintage is correct, these were not felt-tip ink as I thought. I let the coin sit in a little acetone after the Q-tip didn't work, then rinsed it in a little distilled water but the spots are still there. Oh well, you'll need a loupe to see them, and the coin is otherwise spectacular... for $15.

14. LA_Geezer

Actually I've found a way to take it with me, so I'm the last owner. ;)

Kentucky, markr and Heavymetal like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You could sell that idea.:D

LA_Geezer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted