What do you think about these Lincoln proof toners...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Jan 25, 2015.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I purchase a large lot of SMS and proof coins, found these buried in the LMCS proofs. I can't really tell what grade the are without taking them out of the packaging. These flips have a lot if little fibers and cardboard pieces which prevent me from seeing if tge surfaces are smooth. Studying them with a 16x loupe initially they look good. Will try to get better pics tomorrow.

PhotoGrid_1422230954287.jpg

SSG_Gonzo and Coin-Dude like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody "flamed " them!!

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

For whatever reason, the 1970 proof sets are probably the most common to produce bull's-eye toned cents. I think the color is from the packaging and they command a premium.

5. phankins11

@Tom B that's what my searches have turned up. I've found several graded from MS64 to MS65 sold between $60 to $200...still searching.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Those cardboard 2x2 holders will also produce bulls eyes in copper coins if left in them long enough

phankins11 likes this.
  7. phankins11

@Mainebill they've certainly been in there for a while the white of the 2x2 (or in this case the 1.5 x 1.5s...) have started to brown a bit. The interesting thing is though, like @Tom B said, this seems to be way more common on the 70s proof. I think its pretty cool.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Years ago I bought a dipped to red au 1828 half cent when I was like 17 I left it in a 2x2 for years basically never tiook it out. A couple years ago I noticed it was almost totally brown with just a little red in the center. Figured it was a good time to sell it as I had far better

davdo likes this.
  9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I don't know whether how these toned, but I'm not a fan of the bullseye toning.

I hope it works out for you. Are you planning on flipping them?

10. phankins11

@jpcienkus I probably should try to flip them...LOL. It might be an opportunity to make some quick money. The whole goal for this lot was to pick through them find the ones I wanted for my collections and then sell the rest, either in bulk or singles, to pay for the ones I keep. I think if were going to flip these, I'd prolly want to get them graded first to authenticate them and to get a better idea of the value. I'm probably gonna hold on to them for now though. I think they're just too cool.

I've flipped a good handful of raw coins over the past year, specifically because I knew they were cool and knew I could make some money on them, and now I regret it! One of them was a pretty nice Civil War token...in fantastic shape...high XF to AU. I thought it was cool, contemplated keeping it, but talked myself out of it because "I don't collect them"...I sold it :arghh:. Live and learn right?

I've been thinking about taking a hand full of the nicer SMS and proofs from this lot that I really like and have them graded. The idea of putting them in a holder that will capture and preserve what they look like is pretty appealing to me. Maybe one day when I'm old and decrepid, my son will find them and realize just how cool I was :shame:. Or maybe I'll sell them when I need money for the more expensive stuff.

JPeace$ likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Maybe it's just the images, but they don't look like proof coins to me.

12. phankins11

First of 2 1970 S LMC proofs. Top and bottom are same coin, just different lighting positions.

1970SLMC_A_Proof_Target_toner.jpg

@Kirkuleez - I'm fairly certain they're proofs, but I do know that the 1970 mint set did have a 1970 S circulation strike in it. I do have one in an unc album, just don't have pics of it. Here is a clear pic of one that I have, but here is a pic of a 74 S pulled from mint cello.

S-USC-00041.JPG
    I'll try to get the other bulls eye toned LMC out here today.

13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It looks like a proof in that image. Probably just the earlier image that threw me off.

phankins11 likes this.
  14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I've bought and sold a few of the 70-S rainbow toners. They toned in the mint packaging. I only have one left, a PCGS slabbed PR-67:
    044-3.jpg 1970Srainbow67.jpg 1970Srainbow67rev.jpg

phankins11 likes this.
  15. phankins11

The other 1970 S Lincoln toner

1970SLMC_B_Proof_Target_toner.jpg

16. phankins11

Sent these (the same ones pictured above) in with the assistance of @bkozak33 (HUGE thanks BTW)...PR66 and 67 RD!

Color me pleased!

1970SLincolnToners (2).jpg

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would quickly change the holders as those contaminants can initiate spots and ugly marks. I would dip in acetone to make sure all debris is removed.

18. phankins11

I'll refer you to the post, just previous to yours. I did change the holders :D

Draft saved Draft deleted