What do you think 1889 cc morgan is worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Bob J, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Bob J

Bob J Member

What do you think this au50 pcgs 1889 cc morgan would sell for an what is the best way to go about selling it? The pics are the best I have an do not have coin close for more pics.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bob J

Bob J Member

Sorry up loaded pics twice.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Based on Heritage Auction results, it is worth between $5,500-$6,500. If you consign the coin to a major auction house like Heritage or Stacks, the auction house usually gets approximately 20% of the final price. If you don't have a relationship with a reputable dealer who specializes in rare coins of this magnitude, consigning to a major auction might be your best avenue for sale.

Heritage requires a minimum value of $5K in order to consign to one of their signature auctions which means this coin would qualify.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

What Paul said .

GeorgeM likes this.
  6. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

Pm me I maybe interested

7. Bob J

Bob J Member

Does anyone know if this slab is real or fake? I buy very few graded coins so really do not know what to look at in a slab to determine if real. The number is good but not sure if the slab is. I do not own the coin, someone Is wanting to sell it to me. Along with a lot more common ungraded coins an silver bars an ship wreck coins. This is the only coin that is graded. I've not seen anything in person. Due to seller an I are a few hours from each other.

8. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

I think the coin is real it checks out to me. My problem is a AU58 just sold today for $2200 on eBay, thats like $5k under book. Keep me in touch

9. Lehigh96

Wait, wait, wait! The guy is selling a $5K coin along with some silver bullion and shipwreck coins? That doesn't sound right, AT ALL! Is this person a coin dealer? If not, how did he come in possession of such a rarity?

Your original post made it sound like you owned this coin and wanted advice on how to liquidate it. So you pulled a fast one us, congratulations. If you want advice on how to avoid get ripped off, you need to come clean and provide us with all the information that you have, including all information about the seller and how he came to own such a rare coin.

10. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Well since they minted over 300k of them (some did get melted down, but you would be mad to melt down a "key date" and over 6500 exist in PCGS plastic, 300 plus in ICG plastic and another 4200 in NGC, I don't really consider it "Rare".

Maybe in the sense of the series, sure. In fact 104 are for sale right now on eBay.

If you want to talk rare, the royal mint minted just 3,940 1, 2 ,3 and 4 pence maundy coins in 1968. Try to find one for sale or one that has sold on eBay, you wont. They are only worth $250 to boot.

So since over 10,000 of them are sitting in plastic, I can think of many ways how this seller obtained "such a rarity".

1. His grandfather, uncle, etc collected Morgan dollars and left it to him, and he had it certified and is selling it because he needs the money or doesn't collect Morgans.

2. He purchased cheap from a friend who was left it and had it certified and is now selling it.

However if someone wound up with a 1968 maundy set I would not raise an eyebrow, even though they are much scarcer than a silly Morgan dollar.

It really pains me how us coin collectors attach words like "scarce", "rare", and "hard to find" on coins that were minted in the hundreds of thousands, and think nothing of coins from other countries that had mintages under 5,000.

11. Lehigh96

Who cares?

This thread is not about the semantics of the use of the word "rare." Furthermore, rarity is relative to demand. So while there are over 10,000 graded examples of the issue the population in AU50 is approximately 500/2000. Do you know how many people collect Morgan Dollars? Now compare that with the number of people who collect 1968 Maundy coins which you should only need your fingers and toes to calculate. That is why Maundy coins are worthless and 1889-CC Morgan Dollars are worth big bucks.

And yes, I can imagine ways that someone would come into possession of an 1889-CC Morgan Dollar, but knowing the stated story of the seller can help us evaluate whether the coin is stolen, counterfeit etc. Both of your examples involve inheritance, and are therefore one example. Besides, you second scenario makes no sense. A friend inherited it, went through the trouble to have the coin certified, and then decided to unload it cheap to his friend. When you do something like that, come tell us and then we will believe its plausibility.

What pains me is people who hijack threads.

rzage likes this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thanks, Lehigh.

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted