What do you say to the Teller who asks about all the coin you buy/dump

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

I want a "I <3 silver" shirt!!! lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

People have made comments (mostly with quarters) that I must have a lot of laundry to do. I usually just say "something like that", which to me is being non-committal, sort of like a "no-comment" but it leaves it up to the listener to decide whether I meant yes, they got it right, or that they were on the right track. To me, "something like that" means that I have a purpose, and that is all. I haven't given them info on what it is. If pressed, I usually then say I like to collect the 50 states quarters, and the one's I don't want, I'll just use them when spending money. When I get nickels, dimes, or cents, I'm asked if I'm having a garage sale or something (preparing for it with change). At that time, I usually say no, that I'm going to look through them to try to find a WAM, and then I tell them I found one that's worth 300.00. They normally ask what that is, and I tell them, but when I explain knowing the difference between a proof reverse and a business strike reverse, where the difference is so little, then their eyes glaze over, and they just want me to stop telling them about it. Serves it's purpose.

At my credit union they know they will not get the change back, because I've told them I use another bank for that. So they're ok with giving me the change (rolls) and I never order from them. I just take what they have. I have another bank I can get whole boxes from, but again I don't order them. I was ordering half's but kept getting skunk in my area, and the 30 mile round trip a week wasn't worth it to me.

4. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I bring my partially full Whitman folders and pull them out if asked.

5. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

My new pickup bank flat out asked me why all the half dollars, this is after I picked up two boxes today and said I'll take the same for next week please. I told them I fill up books with my daughter in hopes they will be worth something someday to help pay for her education. Yes this is partially true, although I have no books to fill, just a safe and they will go to her someday. They literally grabbed their hearts and were praising me for being a good father, which I am.
    HOTN

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I like this and I think I'm going to use it the next time I'm asked why I'm buying so many boxes of halves. I'm tired of the rude stares I've been getting when I tell them I'm simply laundering dirty drug cash.

7. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I say, "I'm the one who gets to ask the questions around here." And follow up with "How'd you get so pretty?" or something similar. They usually forget all about the question.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I (almost) always inform the teller the truth.

I inform my teller I am searching the coins for dates & varieties that I need for my coin collection. It does not surprize my bank when I ask for coins or drop-off coins. I've shown some of the tellers some error notes & coins. They know me and they see my account data.

One time when dumping an inordinate amount of cents I did lie. I told the teller I won a bet with one of my coin collecting buddies & he paid me in cents. :eek:

9. clorox

clorox Member

"Poker night" and a request not to tip off the Gaming Commission is one of my favorites. Works best with nickels. I don't use it too often, but it quickly gets the conversation off the coins themselves. With halves I like saying that I'm looking for those elusive 1987's in good condition.

10. MilesFox

MilesFox New Member

I get my coins from the business banking line with my biz acount. They normally do coin orders anyway, but i order 100 in pennies each time, and get a box of dimes now and agian. usually the dimes are always available, but i have to order pennies if more than one bx. I tell my teller that i search the coins and keep the wheat pennies.

I opened another account ant another bank for a personal checking. Since i gt paid with business checks under my D.O.B name, i deposit the check, order the coins and dump the coins as deposit to the personal checking as a means to move money and use that account to pay my bills.

I was only given heck one time at my pick-up bank when i walked in and demanded $100 in pennies. Bu all i had to do was order them and it was all good. I bought her lunch one day for being pationet with me. I haven't dumped there as much with the other account as to not make her labor so much hauling coin in and out of the vault each time.

I jammed the machine at the dump bank the first time, because my can of pennies spilled int he car, and some broken glass got in the mix when i picked them up. (300 dollar car with a broken window). So far the teller at the dump bank likes me to guess what the amount is for his own entertainment.

11. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

Up until recently I've just been roll searching and never bothered with boxes (even now i only deal with boxes of Cents and Nics), but I did have the head teller at one bank ask me why I needed $200 in Halves. I told her that I was going to visit my grandfather (the story works since I'm in my late twenties) and that he likes to sort through them for his coin books. She got bright eyed and said it was probably good to have him to have a hobby like that and then started in talking about manual dexterity in his hands and such. Now every time I go in that particular B.O.A. she tells me to tell my grandfather hello...

12. Oddnumistics24

Oddnumistics24 Collector of the odd and wierd

I never really got too many questions until I had been coming in for three months. I got pulled aside by the supervisor one day and was asked why I kept getting penny rolls. I told him I was making a scale model of the empire state building. I'm not sure but i think he believed it.

13. dannic113

dannic113 Member

Only time I told them I was a collector was when looking for solid BU rolls especially the small dollar rolls. Otherwise they knew the circulated stuff went for my wife's jewelry business to make change for customers. Of course I looked through it first.

14. Davidschwager

Davidschwager Member

I say I am looking through them for rare dates, which is true. I also, truthfully, promise not to bring the coins back to the same bank.

Draft saved Draft deleted