What do you predict will be great coins to collect now for 50 years in the future?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kasia, Nov 19, 2017.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The greatest coins in 50 years will likely be the same ones as now, all the ones most people could never afford

Santinidollar and CamaroDMD like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Even if they do I don’t see it making these cents more collectible because of how many were minted. People have been melting down 1964 quarters for decades and they are still super common.

4. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

That is the direction I find myself going as of late, even having a fairly low budget. A Draped Bust Large Cent in problem free VG is a much better long term investment that an MS65 Morgan or a “first strike” MS70 ASE, IMO. Classics are less subject to fads and hype and there just aren’t many of them left.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In moderns I like Uncirculated commemorative silver dollars. Currently they get no respect, they can often be purchased for not much over melt, and if silver bumps up many of them will probably get melted. And then there is the fact that the mintages are ridiculously low on many of them.

longnine009 likes this.
  6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

If you take a look at most modern societies today. We are basically trying to phase out money altogether. You go to the checkout you either use your plastic or you swipe your phone over reader and pay electronically. No money actually touches anyone's hands. So 50 years from now. Most of the major cities on the coast with the sea rise predicted by 2030, will be under three or 4 feet of water.

Just ask anyone living on Hallandale Beach Florida, or Miami Beach Florida.
    During the high tide and full moon now, they are already seeing a foot of water over the roads.

I would say any kind of gold coins. . Any precious metals, like gold silver or platinum. Will be the way to go because they use these precious metals in production.
    Gold is especially used in space. We may not have a colony on the moon, since it is already occupied.But there's always Mars.

I will say any gold coins you can purchase at a decent price.
    Though quite a few of us will not be around in 50 years, our kids will be here.
    I even tell people the day invest in gold. Unfortunately the collectible gold that's worth so much money. They won't be interested in the collectibility of the gold. They're only interested in how the gold can be used in production.

50 years as societies progress, and our knowledge progress, precious metals like gold or gonna go back up and be in high demand.

Just open your eyes and see what's happening around you now.
    Just look at that smart phone you have in your hand now. Do a little research on it you will find out how much precious metals are used in the development of that product.
    USMC60

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I bet a bunch of you do not remember. But I'm sure we Have some old Timers out there that may have been a pilot in the war. I'm not aware If they do it now.
    But at one time in a pilot survival kit, not only did it include a map of the area that he was in. It also included gold coins. Gold is always been known and valued.

I remember many years ago going to the poor man's coin show, the good all weekend swap meet. Not only with other items I had to sell I generally put out some of the coinage I was trying to get rid of. I found a 10th ounce gold coins were my best sellers.

Most of the men were buying them to have necklaces made for their girlfriends or wives.
    On several occasions I had to order them. To be picked up the following week.

Even today with today's economy it still the easiest and affordable due to the economy today for people to purchase. I'm not making a big profit. Because of them damn smart phones.
    I show them a nice coin, the first thing they do is go to their smart phone and look it up, to see what the going price is. My advantages I have the coin right there and now, and I guarantee it to be a legal gold coin.
    Unlike if you take that deal on eBay you're not sure if that coins real or not. And you do not have to pay for shipping and handling with mine. A few of the top selling points that I use.

8. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Much like today, the most collectable coins will be whichever ones the U.S. mint produces. :D Right ???

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I really don't know about that, Australian gold and Canadian gold, they have high standards just like the US.
    Not only do I tell people about investing in gold here in South Florida.
    I'm also telling them to invest in the gondola business.
    If you think all them people living over on the beach in those big high-rises, are going to leave them when the water comes up I don't think so.
    So just like Venice. They are gonna have to have some kind a way to get around..
    And surprisingly I tell people if they want to see what the future brings for South Florida.

A visit to stilts vill in Biscayne Bay, will show you exactly how it's going to be in South Florida. That little community of houses has been in Biscayne Bay as long as I can remember. And it still standing even through all the hurricanes that They been through.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Will the Zombies collect coins that look like us?

Stevearino and dwhiz like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would put away nice, problem free Bust and Seated coins. They have done well over the past 50 years and feel they will continue to do so.

longshot, Kasia and dwhiz like this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Kind of in line with my previous comment, how about coins that should have been our recent dollar coins ? And this is just one example.

Sacky%20Pattern%20obv.jpg Sacky%20Pattern%20rev.jpg

asheland, longnine009, Stork and 2 others like this.
  13. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Interesting question, I honestly don't even fully understand what you are asking. If you are asking what coins will be popular in 50 years, I have two answers, one specific and the other general. They are predicated on two different ideas, first that coins specifically, and physical money in general, will not be in use in 50 years. Second, the shift in focus on hobbies has gone from wide and shallow to narrow and deep. The days of general collectors, or even type collectors is ending. People are focusing much more intensely on a narrow range of coins. Take VAMs in Morgan dollars, or even the die marriage study on Lincoln cents as an example. This trend is visible across all hobbies right now not just coins, smaller and smaller numbers of people are joining hobbies, but those that do are focusing much more intensely.

Specifically, I believe the coins that have large, active collector bases will continue to be popular. Here I'm looking at colonial, large cent, half cent, bust halves, maybe add VAM Morgans in here. These series have organized, dedicated amateur collection groups which I believe will continue the tradition of collection interest. The more research they generate, and camaraderie they inspire, the more they will appeal to those narrow/deep collectors that come along in the future. Further, there will be no gateway coins, so things like Lincoln cents won't have much nostalgic influence on what people collect.

Generally speaking, I believe most modern coinage is just not scarce enough to be highly collectible, or generate much interest, combined with the eventual loss of nostalgia from people collecting from circulation, because coins don't circulate, I just don't think much of the current modern coinage will hold up.

Another general trend, and one we've already seen, is a focus on original surfaces. I believe focus on value and making money in the coin market has lead a lot of people to try to improve coins in one way or another. So much so that I believe the number of coins being preserved in their original state is diminishing each year. For example, when the difference between a brown cent and a red brown cent can sometimes mean twice the money, the incentive to try to alter those brown cents gets quite large.

TL:DR: I believe classic coins that have been popular for many years, i.e. large cents, Morgans, early half dollars, will still be popular, and the focus will continue to be on original specimens with patina.

KSorbo likes this.
  14. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I think the availability of coins for purchase online has a lot to do with the trend toward specialization. It’s a lot easier now to collect varieties than it would be if we were limited to local shows and coin shops.

However, I don’t see classic type collecting going away. I can’t imagine myself being limited to one series and I like to think there will be plenty of others like me in 50 years.

I do agree that most moderns will remain too common to carry much premium. Even if 99 percent are melted, one percent of billions is still plenty to go around.

15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I have a question. This will basically apply to everyone, but especially to the coin dealers we have on this forum.
    Let's say in the past 10 years to date. How many people have you had come into your shop let's say between the ages of 20 and 40 years old.
    And purchase coins for their collection or even starting collecting coins.
    All I know is in my area of Broward County I have seen more coin shops close up in the past 20 years..
    I hate to be the killjoy. But as anybody thought about all the collections that were lost in the natural disasters in the past 10 years..
    All I see is hundreds of thousands of people trying to rebuild their life. And I'm sure collecting coins or any type of money for collecting is not in their future.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Collectors in that age group do the overwhelming majority of their buying online especially the early 30s to 20 part of it.

Not in their immediate future and as horrible as it is for those people it's nothing new. There's always been hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes, and California has big fires a lot. Seems to be mother natures joke on humanity, the prettiest places to live often have the greatest chance of a natural disaster.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I agree with you, I'm in my 60s and I shop online sometimes for coins.
    You have to be extremely careful when you're doing that, unless you're purchasing from a reputable dealer. So many fakes on the market.
    I have found another good source that I always keep an eye on.
    Is promotions that come in the mail, from a nationwide dealer.
    I've actually got a few good deals, through their promotion, sometimes you would be an idiot if you turn the deal down. Example: can't remember the company right offhand.
    A promotion in the mail, 2 NGC MS 70 2017 Silver Eagles. Four $43

in a course before I purchased I went online to see what they were selling for.
    They were averaging about $45 a coin. And their promotion was buy one get one free.
    Always keep your eye out for flyers in the mail.USMC60

Yes it's extremely unfortunate at least this past year with all the disasters that have happened. I can't speak for any part of the country except for South Florida.
    The prices on food is really getting up there.

Keeping on track with the initial thread. You cannot go wrong with gold.
    Realistically I just cannot see the price of gold going down 50 years from now.
    As our technology increases the need for gold increases.

18. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

"...which coins will be great..." in what respect value?? 3 legged Buffalos. ?

19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

If think the physical version of crypto coins that have failed will be "much wow!" in the future. Sadly however all I have is one physical Doge coin. But cryptos are not going away and there will be many failures and then new issues and then more failures.

We have broken bank notes, these will be be broken crypto coins or broken blockchain coins.

For something more speculative, I predict Interstellar coins will be all the rage. Aliens will trade their coins to us for beer, cigarettes and Al Bundy memorabilia. They already like him.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Just as all coins are collected today, they'll all be collected in fifty years. The only difference will be an almost entirely new collector base composed of a new generation of collectors. This generation is almost certain not to believe moderns are junk because they won't have had the same experiences that we have.

The internet will ensure that collectors are more aware and more able to indentify and locate almost anything. This will mean a broader base to their collecting.

They won't focus principally on silver. They won't hate moderns. And more people will collect more diverse coins, tokens, and medals. This will be very good for those coins that aren't actively sought today and are rare or rare in pristine condition like Indian or Chinese aluminum and many US and world coins made after WW II.

Kasia likes this.
  21. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Perhaps two or three, or even more schools of thought can compete with each other...

1) Collect the classics in US coinage, as not only aren't they being minted anymore, but some will be lost to disaster or theft and possibly inappropriate meltdowns. Focus on the best you can acquire of problem-free coins, either in a top TPG or raw if you have the knowledge and ability to keep your raw coins from getting wear or marks that would downgrade it. Focus also on ones that have had broad appeal and have not had ups and downs with popularity.

2) Using the 1955 Lincoln Cent DDO as the example for the explosion in interest and it's popularity years later in error coin collecting, focus on a acquiring the key ones but be aware that if this particular interest is a fad, like the Tulip Mania in the 1600s, or the dvd and beta movie rental store more recently, and you could see losses instead of gains. Part of the interest, I think is due to specialty books and internet web-sites where info is easily found. But just as with any true fad or bubble it comes on like blockbusters and then suddenly dies a nasty quick death, where some still could prosper but the majority lose. If that happens, I think a few errors will still be of value to hold. Sort of like if the whole collecting community suddenly gets tired of focusing on minutiae or none of the generation coming up takes an interest in this, preferring to have different interests.

3) Go the route that GD has, and think outside of US coins (His is Netherlands Ducats) and become a premier collector and write books on them. Help develop a smaller but dedicated base for the type.

4) Go to the Dark side... they seem to be quite enamored with sucking people in and their forwardness in that along with some of the coins being like crack to them probably ensures their survival as a collector's type. Men, in general, seem to really be History nerds and ancients are excellent vehicles for that. Provides a lot of exercises in competition for them. Yeah, Women enjoy it too, but Numismatics is still a male dominant hobby.

5) Concentrate in modern US coins. The base grew up with them and has no real hangup about them being junk.

What else?

Draft saved Draft deleted