What do you predict will be great coins to collect now for 50 years in the future?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kasia, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

For 50 years in the future, which coins will be great to have in a collection now?

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The Classics! The rest will probably be sold for metal value.

ldhair and brandon spiegel like this.
  4. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Of course it's all just a guessing game but I think any 18th century US coin will always have demand. Any coin in general that today doesn't pop up all that often is a pretty safe bet will be in good shape in 50 years.

As someone who is 32 I try to consider things like this when buying. If a coin on my radar is one I can find 30+ examples of with a couple clicks to the auction sites then it better be a special coin or it's just not worth buying for me and my goals

KSorbo likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Jim could easily have a good point. That said, when I was collecting US coins, and even when I had switched and started collecting world coins, I kinda followed a contrarian idea. I collected coins that nobody else wanted :)

micbraun likes this.
  6. James S

James S Low Mintage

The same Coins that are good to Collect right now. When you purchase my advice would always be low mintage high grade.

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Let's see.... in 50 years, I'll be 120, so I'm probably not a good guesser. How about English Conder tokens? Key dates in best condition you can afford of Jefferson nickels, Lincoln cents, Roosevelt dimes, and Washington quarters? By then our coins will be valued in either pesos or yuan.

8. Kasia

Of course I could be completely wrong, but I think that in addition to finding quality classic US coins to hold or upgrade to, paying special attention to how it looks, going for ones that have aesthetic value, there is also a huge opportunity to try to get quality coins of the modern US ones, and with the change of the Lincoln reverse in 2009 and 2010, and the composition change mid-way into zincolns and extremely poor quality in many years, that there will be a great opportunity for some to acquire ones that will likely be needed to make a collection of memorial cents. I think the memorial reverse is attractive to some degree, and can see some deciding to make it popular, ignoring the wheatbacks as too difficult to acquire. And perhaps ignoring the shield reverses for the most part. Part of this speculation derives from the very poor quality in some years and the ones that are zinc cores are so susceptible to zinc rot, that with bad treatment and use, most may not survive even at lower grades... and especially the years with plating issues. Choosing some that seem to be survivable with care may be a wise move for some collectors.
    I think Jeffersons are a good collectible series, but think less of either the now Roosevelt or the Washington quarters from 1965 on as even being worth collecting for the most part. Ikes at high grades will be worth it, but the other dollars not so much. Ikes have a certain appeal, and they have heft.

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

In 50 years, all the Washington medals made in the 1860s will be 200 years old. There'll be a Well Managed Promotion to make those popular and collectible again.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think pre-1933 US gold will remain popular.

dwhiz, imrich, Evom777 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Since I'm a huge lincoln cent fan, I will vote for the lincoln cents. Think if they make it legal to melt, everyone and their brother will be cashing in what they can for even a tiny profit and what's left will hopefully be worth more! (my lincoln cent fascination clouds good thought sometimes! LOL) In reality, I would say your late 1700 -1800 coins will be the best.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don’t know if we will see droves of copper Lincoln’s melted. I just can’t inagine the profit margin will justify it. Even if it does, so many were made they will remain common much like 1964 silver coinage.

13. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I know the profit margins won’t be (for many reasons) great but I foresee all these people lining up to cash them in even if they only get a buck or two.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The zinc shortages of 2056 will cause the Lincoln zinc cents to be hoarded and prices sky rocket.

Kentucky, rooman9, Stork and 5 others like this.
  15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

There is no way to tell so just get one of everything and you will be covered.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  16. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I would think Lincoln memorial cents will be the new wheat cents.

Thanks,
    Jacob

CoinCorgi likes this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think Bitcoins will be rare as hen's teeth in 50 years. I'd wait until they are worthless before acquiring some though, as that will maximize your return.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think that all coins except plastic or carbon will be extinct and buyers/sellers will be required to transact electronically before 2050.

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I don't think 1804 dollars will ever be extinct.

20. Kasia

I can see that scenario, where cash is king and the king is dead.... for normal transactions, and people have to load up gift cards to do shopping at local stores.

Stevearino likes this.
  21. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Pretty simple really. Just look at everything I have in my collection and then buy anything else.:(

Draft saved Draft deleted