What do you make of this? Commemorative token of some sort.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Forkeh, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

Saw it at a flea market for like 5 cents. Looked interesting, couldn't resist. It's slightly larger than an Ike, and about as heavy. Anyone know anything about it? Did many google searches, nada. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

Btw I'm well aware that it's not valuable or anything, except maybe melt of whatever that metal is (I'm thinking copper or brass maybe, maybe not). I'd just like to know the history behind it if anyone has a clue.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is probably bronze.

When some cities and towns celebrate their centennial, bicentennial, tercentenary (etc) anniversaries they often contract a private mint to make such medals that they can sell to help offset the cost of the celebration. I have a couple hundred from towns in New England. Most of these were produced by Medallic Art Co. (MACO) and were struck in a variety of metals.....silver, antique silver, copper, bronze, pewter and gilded bronze.

It's very unlikely that you will find any history on the medal unless the name of the designer and/or the mint that produced it is somewhere on the medal.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted