What do you hate seeing, when doing CRH?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by RomaniGypsy, Sep 8, 2021.

1. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy Active Member

Trying to see if others share my views on this.

I hate:

-When the rolls get taped shut either on both openable ends, or on the one openable end of a tube roll (GAHHHHH!!!!)

-When people turn in searched rolls and don't mark them in some way so that it's clear they've been searched

-Skunk boxes / hauls, of course

-When people shove foreign coins of larger diameters into rolls, so that the roll has to be ripped apart to extract the coins

-When a penny replaces a nickel in a roll, or a nickel replaces a quarter in a roll

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

1964 nickels there like a virus!!!!,seeing lower denomination coins like say find a zilincon in a nickel roll.I haven't ran into the taping problem rolls/boxes and basically what you said about.You forgot one thing 1965 especially for dimes and quarters.

love old coins and Evan Saltis like this.
  4. RomaniGypsy

YES!! Worn reverse on a nickel, even with a mintmark, "ooo, this could be my 1950!" -flip- "1964 again!!"

And those 1965 quarters and dimes... why it couldn't be just one freaking year older... or just nice-looking!

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
    Bradley Trotter and Evan Saltis like this.
  5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

When inconsiderate searchers mark their searched coins with a Sharpie. :rage:

6. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Excessive corrosion! Taped wrappers! Rolls that don't contain what I'm looking for!!!;););) New foreign coins!! Rolls with all the same date and mintmark!

john65999 and UncleScroge like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Skunk Boxes. No silver dimes. :sour::meh::rolleyes::wacky::watching::arghh:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The most annoying for me are coins with sticky residue, or gum. Occasionally I find coins that are glued together.

Then bent coins. Cents crammed into dime wrappers can be annoying.

I know I am going to get some flak for this, but this was the creepiest thing I have ever found in a cent roll:

nastyassednazi.jpg

nazi stuff just gives me the creeps.

9. RomaniGypsy

You've gotten rolls with all the same date and mintmark, that haven't been marked? (Not long ago I hit a bank that had some such rolls, but they were all marked, so I passed.)

And yes, excessive corrosion. I hit a bunch of pennies not long ago that were so badly corroded (we're talking enough to make the date nearly obscured even on 2020's) that I wondered if they'd been stored in salt water or something. What makes pennies get that corroded that quickly?

YES! Oh, I forgot sticky residue! But I've never found anything glued together.

What is that Nazi thing anyway? Is that a coin or is it some sort of token / medal?

If it's silver, you can always get it melted for cash as well as satisfaction. But if you'd rather see it be used for historical purposes, not far from where I live, every year they do the country's largest D-Day reenactment. History buffs from all over the country come in to play the roles of Allied and Axis military staff and supporters, and they always display and use authentic / authentic reproduction equipment and trinkets from the time. This includes Nazi stuff with swastikas and the like, and I don't recall there ever being an issue with anyone complaining about the Nazi stuff or the presence of Nazi stuff attracting noticeable numbers of Nazi sympathizers. I could put you in touch with an organization that might buy that "coin" or whatever it is, to use it in their annual reenactments.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It is a coin, and nope, not silver

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

@RomaniGypsy It is a 1 pfennig coin. I actually tossed it into a lot of German coins that I later sold. It is a zinc coin, worthless.

I'm all for preserving history, I just don't care to be the caretaker of the symbolism of incarnate evil.

12. RomaniGypsy

If you really mean that, to its fullest extent instead of just stuff commonly recognized as having been evil in times past, you're someone I'd love to know.

13. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Many banks will not accept rolls that have been marked on in any way. I've run into this a few times.

UncleScroge likes this.
  14. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The zinc reacts with the copper. Before 1982 this was not a problem. But now, with pennies being 95% zinc and only 5% copper, they corrode quickly. We call it zinc rot.

UncleScroge likes this.
  15. RomaniGypsy

I never have. Most I've run into has been banks that don't want rolls marked with identifying information.

16. RomaniGypsy

Okay, but that wouldn't explain MS-looking 1990's pennies showing up. These pennies to which I'm referring looked like they had salt corrosion and weird multicolored corrosion.

17. RomaniGypsy

You know something else I hate?

Picture this. I open a customer-wrapped quarter roll. Slide 'em all out into my hand.

And there it is - one with only a silver-colored rim.

Ooo, are you silver? I pull it from the stack, with excitement building...

CANADIAN!

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
  18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Now now, sometimes I find Canadian silver, in the past few years I think I have found about C$5 worth of GVI and QEII silver from prior to 1967. One of my most valuable finds is a 1925 Canada cent from the reign of GV.

That said, I do accumulate a lot of Canadian:

canadiancoins16may2016.jpg

These are from a couple of years ago. I sell the small stuff and keep the loonies and twoonies to spend(well until the border shutdown). Crazily enough Canadians seem to have an issue with redeeming older bills from the 1940s and 1950s in their banks - so they were bringing them over the border and exchanging them at banks here in the USA canadiandosh.jpg

So before the border clanked shut last year I would occasionally call around banks and buy up whatever Canadian currency they had - so I could buy up stuff that disappeared in circulation in Canada over 30 years ago like the $1 and $2 notes then turn around and sell them to collectors - in... Canada.

-jeffB and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  19. Amberlarry22

Amberlarry22 Well-Known Member

A box of new coins.

20. Darren Edwards

Darren Edwards Well-Known Member

I think the only thing worse than this for me is when the rolls are bank wrapped and I still manage to come across Canadian coins.

21. RomaniGypsy

I don't get why there's such hate for them. Save the rolls and in a few years you can sell them for twice face. That's a really good percentage of value increase per year - 20% or more.

I don't mind Canadians - they're pretty cool, all things considered, especially if you get a "Georgivs VI" version from the pre-Elizabeth II era. (Side note: Ain't it crazy that next year it'll be 70 years that she's been queen? All the stuff that's happened in 70 years and she's been queen for all of it...)

But a regular clad Canadian quarter looks like a silver American quarter from the side.

UncleScroge and Darren Edwards like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted