What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinfreak~24, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

$T2eC16Z,!)sE9swm,1iBBR-td7t5rQ~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqN,!p8FHk9rw8jMBR-tN68bMw~~60_57.jpg

What do you guys think the grade is?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

If this picture is not masking any unseen marks, than this is in my opinion a 65.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

A seller sends me some pic of his coins he sells, and I just want to make sure there no problems with the coin,

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would not guarantee anything off the pictures but it does look clean and 65. I do not know what it is about the pictures, but it makes me leery. I don't know why. And at that grade I would buy one already graded and not take the risk.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  6. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

Very nice coin!

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Peripheral Member

Two things are apparent to me, and I have zero grading cred: the background looks like brushed stainless steel; an odd choice based on many coin pics I've examined; and the color/tone/saturation are all too similar between the stainless and the silver...the lighting might have been fluorescent (bars showing on the SS), but the Morgan looks every bit as green as the SS, with no hint of white. That coin ought to look better in terms of color, and I agree that there's reason for discomfort.

That said: I'd rather have the coin than $50...in a heartbeat!

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

9. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

It's a very sharp coin. I feel MS 65 is an easy grade, could be higher!

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

66 if the luster is there.

11. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I really like what I see, and if you trust the seller from past deals, you might find yourself a deal on this nice MS-65+ graded Morgan.

12. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

What makes me leery is why is the seller not concerned about placing the coin on a metal background to take the pic. looks like a good way to make a MS coin a AU or worse.

13. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Based on the pics - ms67.

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Very curious background.

Evidently, the coin is balanced on a polished metal cylinder . . . either stainless steel, as previously mentioned, or aluminum. Judging from the shadows, I find it curious that the lighting angles are also very different in both photos, as if to deliberately produce glare in particular areas, or to draw attention away from specific flaws in the surface of the coin.

Sorry for the cynical tone, but I've bought too many coins that were not well-represented by the listed photos.

15. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

16. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

Looks to be a nice coin, but pictures can be misleading. If you can't get more pictures or look at it in person, trust your gut.:)

PS - The surface looks the same as my laptop.

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My sentiments exactly.

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The lighting is strange--don't know if it is hiding anything. Folks, it is not a 66 or 67. There are some bag marks and hairlines. Looks to me very much like a nice MS 65--they are far from unusual in that date, but it is a nice coin, assuming that light and reflection off of the backing isn't hiding some flaw. Plenty of nice 1879s coins, and that appears to be one of them.

19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

This is a 67 18979s Morgan, and look at how clean the devices are (as well as the fields). No hairlines, virtually bag mark free, and incredible luster. 1879-s-morgan-pcgs-ms67-121009-2.jpg 1879-s-morgan-pcgs-ms67-121009.jpg

Ripley likes this.
  20. Christian Gonzales

Christian Gonzales I am a 14 year old coin collector.

21. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

This picture looks shopped. I wouldn't be surprised if the coin looks nothing like that in hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted