What do you guys think about this seller - Real or Fake coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Im not an expert ny any means, but the tetredrachms, especially the top few look suspect to me at the least. I have no suggestion on the Ptolemy coins

Inspector43 and Xodus like this.
  4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Without even looking at the coins, something looks fishy. Click sold listings and nearly everything he sold was best offer accepted. I think that is pretty suspect.
    04C18234-F84D-44E0-B8F6-D11B82B5C677.png

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

How so? 'Best offer' is a standard eBay format (I have no opinion on the coins per se).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    arnoldoe likes this.
  6. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Well lets say someone makes counterfeit coins in their garage and it costs $5 a coin to produce. They list one for $200 obo which is at or slightly below collector value. Someone makes an offer for $170 or $180. He is still making over $150 profit on the counterfeit coin. Some of his coins are listed above $500 as well so he could be making even more. (If they are actually counterfeit.)

Compared to a dealer who buys and resells coins. He spends $150 on a coin and lists it for $200 obo, hoping for a $50 profit. The dealer would be a lot less likely to accept $170 or $180 for the coin than a counterfeiter, because that significantly effects his profit margins.

UncleScroge likes this.
  7. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Most look perfectly fine.

Barry Murphy

Kentucky, Xodus, Factor and 5 others like this.
  8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Some of the silver coins have a rather porous appearance to them. I’d be suspect. Plus, the Vespasian aureus has a rather mushy appearance.

Xodus likes this.
  9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I agree with Barry.
    The only nitpick I have is that one Alex III tet was actually marked “Philip III.”

Ryro likes this.
  10. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Vespasian aureus is fine.
    It’s ex CNG E-459, lot 463.

Barry Murphy

Kentucky, DonnaML, Orielensis and 2 others like this.
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thanks for the new recommend! Great looking coins. I've saved the seller.
    What I find suspicious is them getting run through the mud with coins looking this normal, if not a bit over priced. Which would explain the majority of his coins being "buy it now".
    Nothing jumps out at me, other than some coins I'd like to pick up.

Clavdivs likes this.
  12. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

What is certain, he operates from Israel. Antiquities market in Israel is heavily regulated and every legal dealer has an Antiquities Authority permit. This guy does not have one. Also, ancient coins legally exported from Israel must have individual Antiquities Authority permits. I am receiving them with coins purchased through registered VCoins dealers, such as Sahar or Shick. Not from this guy. So when you buy coins from him, you a) risking the coins being confiscated by Israeli or US customs and b) supporting illegal antiquities trade, which is leading to destruction of important archaeological sites. That's regardless of the coins being real or not, and I am sure that they are, at least wast majority of them.

13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

@Factor, how do you know he doesn't have an export license? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious how you can tell from the listing.

DonnaML and sand like this.
  14. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Dealers who have it typically include their license number in the listing, it adds a lot of credibility. But regardless, any coin legally sent out of Israel must have attached an export permit issued by Antiquities Authority and every licensed dealer must comply with this policy. I have already purchased coins from s.c.numismaticandart, and nothing was ever included in the envelope besides the actual coins. Again the coins were authentic.

sand likes this.
  15. hell I can make those all day long with my mini propane oven and a bunch of tin cans!! LOL Just need a wax sample to get going.

Draft saved Draft deleted