What do you grade this semi-key Morgan?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, May 19, 2015.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Thanks alyss would that include the "slab"?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Wow, that cheek hit must be deeper than it appears.

4. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

The ANA standard for MS-60 in part states that there may be many many large detracting contact marks, or damage spots, but no trace if circulation wear. Sometimes the grader will consider the flatness above the ear a soft strike, (my opinion) so, I will always compare with all the high spots for consistency, such as the ear, eye brow, hair at the forehead, cotton, and bonnet on the obverse. On the reverse, the eagles chest and wings. If there in no consistency, then chances are it is wear.
    ANACS did a good job grading that - if you are hoping for a higher grade send it to PCGS - I believe, again my opinion, they are more liberal than NGC.

5. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

Yes

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

In hand it is not as pronounced as it is in the photo, actually.

7. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what kind of magnifier the graders use to examine a coin??

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I believe 10X

fish4uinmd likes this.
  9. superzimm

superzimm Well versed collector

I would've said -63. I'm surprised ANACS was at 61. Nice coin.
    And I've always thought PCGS was normally a tad stricter or at least similar to NGC?

10. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

11. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

They only use a 5x loupe.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have always heard 5X max to GRADE a coin. 10X used only for attribution etc.

Found David Hall's answer;
    Question: Is a magnifying glass used on all coins by all coin graders? What magnification is used?

Answer: Magnification is used in different ways by different graders. Some graders prefer 5X, some like 8X. On a big rarity, a grader might look at the coin with both 5X and 8X. Graders do not use a glass for every coin. On large generic coins, say Morgan dollars in MS64 or MS65, it's just not necessary to use a glass. On some small coins, say Three Cent Silvers, it's impossible to grade them without magnification.

Personally, I prefer -- and recommend -- 5X. If you are grading coins, I suggest you first look at the coin without magnification. Notice the luster, the surfaces, the overall eye appeal. Then look with a 5X glass. That's what I do.

-- David Hall, Professional Coin Grading Service
    http://www.pcgs.com/ezine/2003/coins_aug26_03.html

fish4uinmd, ldhair and alyssacoins like this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Sounds like a good score then. I've certainly seen uglier 64s.

medjoy likes this.
  15. alyssacoins

alyssacoins Member

Again this is all opinion, I've compared, (got to be in the thousands) coins and NGC is the leader, they do it correctly on all their coins. Your best buys are ANACS and SEGS because they don't carry the flowing NGC does so, you could get a a high end coin cheap. I'm not impressed with PCGS, I have seen too many FBL's with gouges through the lines and they only use the bottom set for their designation and they don't that correct at times. I also think that PCGS doesn't use eye appeal as a factor - oh boy here I go. Sorry , I'm done.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I promise you that they do!

alyssacoins and BigTee44 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted