what do you folks think

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wheaties fan, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Wheaties fan

Wheaties fan Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Need both side to grade a coin and preferably with photos straight on.

4. Wheaties fan

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Common coin, questionable eye appeal (spots/spotchy toning). This is a coin you can afford to be exceedingly picky with. Pass.

6. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

I am very suspicious of the grainy fields, wrinkled look of Abe's coat and the spots. Would somebody waste their time casting one of these?

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like wear on his cheek. AU55/58.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I seriously doubt it, but anything is possible.

I suspect what you're attributing as "grainy" is really the photograph (or more specifically the CCD's noise floor is high, and I would expect a relatively cheap camera took the photo, not that there's anything wrong with a cheap camera, but rather the photo's appearance is caused by it).

9. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

I like it.

Nice solid natural rim and plenty of Cheek separation. A shame the flip detracts from the true tonation but it looks "REAL". Exceptional detail on the Wheats and periods but a pity about that rev rim ding.

But what about Abe's goiter? His neck looks "different" to me.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

11. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I don't think you ever really completed your question. Did you want an approximate grade? An approximate value? Is it wanted by a member?
    You simply said what do we think?
    Also, that coin appears to be in a plastic container so an accurate look is difficult since anything wrong could be the plastic.

12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

13. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

The picture quality isn't perfect, but I'd give it an MS-55. I'd say it's better than the one in my collection. But as far as price, the LC's are so unpredictable right now. I'm thinking $18- $20.. but I'm pretty tight, so I could be way off.

14. Wheaties fan

i picked it up on flea-bay.ya impulse buying..i know no one here has done that before..havnt been myself since my mom just passed the the 24th and ive been a mess.dok u mint trade still...ask you to trade i dont go back on my word...ya i was asking what everyone else would grade it at.the seller says its au.but ill try to take better pics when i get it ...thank you everyone about 50/50 so far on it..

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=2764&lot=1051

The PCGS holder has 97 in the number. This code 97 is for "environmental damage". Code 97 is a catch all code. They are calling it 97 for the single dark spot. Take it out of the holder & the coin would possibly sell for more money. Let's see what it sells for...

16. DoK U Mint

Sorry to hear about your Mom

Sorry to hear about your Mom, WF.

As for a trade, I'm taking a break for a month until I decide (aka, learn how) to decide which of my horde I'm gonna keep; they really DID come from my Granny and some of them were stashed "below the flood plain" while AU.

She also added some through the years that had been places and bought things and when I 1st got them kinnda rummaged through the loose ones looking for the elusive "S" I'ld had missing from my Whitman started in the '50's.

But I'll keep you at the top of deserving VDB fans.

Now that you have your own, and It looks like a keeper, keep us informed!

Photos when it arrives?

17. Wheaties fan

thanks all of you.i looked on pgcs price guide and it goes for about 18 in a lower grade.but i had to have it.i sold an eagle morgan and a peace last week that my mom bought me long ago.oh well..they can be replaced someday..dok no problem dude anytime is fine ..ty oh i paid 14.19 for it.i know i paid on the high end.

18. DoK U Mint

Glad you are having fun. When I gain some security in my knowledge I'll fess up and we can swap toys. I don't really need for all mine to be the same and you may end up with an "Extra" something that grabs my eye. 8^)

Party on Dude!

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted