What do you do?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TypicalCreepahx, Nov 12, 2013.

1. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

I find a lot of rusty old coins that have bug dug out of the ground from indian heads to v nickels, to buffalo nickels to tokens. They are all so rusty, black and stuff. What should I do with them? I feel guilty spending them..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i do a little metal detecting but have not found any coins like you mentioned, a few wheats maybe but mostly modern coins so far an i put those in a small vibrating jewelry cleaner with soapy water, pat them dry, check the dates then toss them into my bucket thats gettin dumped into coin machine. if i found coins like you mentioned i could'nt spend them, probly just drop em all in a jar an stick em a corner...

4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Maybe a little Acetone wash before you do anything with it.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Acetone is a solvent and it will do virtually nothing to ordinary dirt & grime, corrosion, and/or toning. In other words all of the things that happen to coins in the ground.

Acetone will remove PVC residue, some glues, some lacquers, and some varnishes, some paints, some oils, and fresh (and only fresh) fingerprints. But that's about it. It will not remove anything else.

6. jtwetzel

jtwetzel Member

Acetone and some water. Don't do too much cleaning tho!

Draft saved Draft deleted