What do you do with this '63 nickel?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinJockey73, Mar 1, 2021.

1. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Just found, it's gorgeous, thought it was brand new, that's why i even took a second look. But what do you do with it?
    20210301_121550.jpg
    20210301_121608.jpg
    I threw it back into the pile.

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

to modern I don't keep nickels after 1960 there just to common/unless there BU with great steps.

CoinJockey73 and Kevin Mader like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Myself.... I chose 1959 as the cut off for cents and nickels. But that's just me.

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

About halfway through my CRH days, I decided to create rolls by date/mm for Jefferson nickels and Lincoln cents. Like Potty, I try to only save the very best I could find. Over the years, I've been able to complete several rolls in that effort. I once hit a dump of early 60's nickels, so I was able to put away BU rolls for those dates/mms. But for others, I may have XF or better specimens from the 50s forward. Before that, I might have VF or better with several rolls having a couple AU specimens in the mix. And any time I find a XF coin, I'm looking at it for a variety. As for things I hoard...I keep pre-60s nickels, mainly for youngsters to pick through and build sets of their own. It's like Christmas for them to run through a bucket of old coins (especially given their ages).

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

untitled.png

CoinJockey73 and Kevin Mader like this.
  7. CoinJockey73

I've been '45 so far.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. CoinJockey73

9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

We all have to draw a line somewhere. Someone once noted - are you collecting or hoarding? I collect and have a bit of a hoard of common coinage. At the start of my CRH days, I hoarded...glad I did. I didn't know about Variety Hunting and was happy I had them to go through. But then I released almost everything...to only learn about new varieties. Wished I had them back. So I started hoarding coins by date/mm to have for variety hunting. But once again, I'm at the point of ditching the masses. I've culled out the low mintage coins already, so those will stay. But spend the common stuff. I even have rolls of Dateless Buffalo I need to decide upon. I've pickled them for dates and for my Pickled Nickel collection. Might be fun for some youngster to find a cull/dated Buffalo in their change...may spawn a new collector. Ahh...but the separation anxiety....:bigtears:

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

personally, I'd spend it

sorry

CoinJockey73 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted