What do you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stldanceartist, Mar 25, 2015.

?

What do you do in this situation?

1. Notify the seller - because you need karma points after running over a squirrel in your car.

3.9%
  2. Tell your coin forum buddies - because they might drop an egg of knowledge your way.

11.8%
  3. DEFINITELY don't tell your coin forum buddies, because they'll definitely outbid you.

9.8%
  4. Just sit back, drink a beer, and watch the auction end where it ends. It's just a coin.

5.9%
  5. Sit back, relax, and eat that squirrel you ran over with your car because DE-LISH!

11.8%
  6. Start a stupid poll about it and enjoy the Pavlovian response as people try to figure out your find

23.5%
  7. Say no more. You must win this coin. You gotta get one of those (variety withheld)!!!!!

43.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well I find something in your post to question ? Your statement that's it's not been attributed but it's in the CPG? May be I've been up to long today but, if it's unknown then how do you know it's a variety ? Because to my knowledge if it's been listed in the Cherry pickers guide them someone found it and had it attributed .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If you wanted to own it, there is nothing wrong with not saying anything and just winning the auction. If you don't wish to win it, I would tell the seller its a rare variety and let them do with this information what they wish. A seller is assumed to know what they are selling, but we all know many don't. You are entitled to benefit from your superior knowledge, but if you do not wish to I would help the seller out.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Usually, if the variety attribution is not paid for by a submitter, the TPG will not list it on the slab. Not always is a variety recognized by a particular grader, so it is possible that it might go undetected by the TPG. There are some occasions when a rare variety is spotted by the grader (or finalizer) and the submitter is contacted to find out if they want to pay the additional fee. I've had this happen before.

Chris

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The OP means that the coin has not been attributed by the seller (or in some cases a TPG) as a/the variety, and not that the variety itself is unknown.

6. Paddy54

GOTCHA.....told you been up for awhile

7. Paddy54

Thanks Chris yes I have also when I submitted a coin, been up since 3 am and at this point I'm on the down hill
    part of my day. Plus drove like 300 miles today so my eyes are shot.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hey Paddy? Go grab a beer and put your feet up........:)

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

M..U...S...T W...I...N C...O...I...N

10. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

If it was a coin I want (variety or not) I'd go for it, otherwise I might notify the seller, especially if the Guide says it's a particularly valuable one. Keep in mind the values shown in Cherrypickers aren't necessarily market prices, they're just what some cherrypicker might be induced to pay.

11. Paddy54

Feet been up no beer it's a school night ....:pompous:

12. I selected the option in the poll that involved drinking beer like I am doing right now. In reality, I would try to win the auction and either keep it or sell it for a profit as a variety. This is the essence of cherrypicking. You have more knowledge than the seller and thus win the prize.

13. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Detecto?

14. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

That's the problem...no values anywhere. No completed auctions I can find... CPG says N/A due to lack of information...

Nope!

Since no one has guessed it, it's a quote from the Beatles movie "Help!" - one of the characters has a recurring catch phrase "I can say no more" as she keeps divulging more and more information. At some point, McCartney says, "Please, say no more."

(Edited after watching the movie again tonight...hey, it's been a while!)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  15. Is it a large cent?

16. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Went with- Maybe Notify the seller - because you need karma points after running over a squirrel in your car
    Then Sit back, relax, and eat that squirrel you ran over with your car because DE-LISH!
    Next sit back, drink a beer, and watch the auction
    then Start a stupid poll about it and enjoy the Pavlovian response as people try to figure out your find

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As a general rule, when I see a nice cherrypick, I have two paths I go down. If its a collector, I'll point it out and let them know what I have. I don't necessarily expect them to know about the variety, and one of my numismatic missions is to spread knowledge and help people as much as I can. If its something I want, I'll offer the guy a premium over what he's asking, but less than its full value (give him a bonus, but keep some for myself - I feel this is the most fair, since I put a lot of work into gaining the knowledge, and should be rewarded for this).

If its a dealer, however, I usually just cherry it and don't tell them.

green18 likes this.
  18. stldanceartist

Anyone think they've figured it out yet?

19. stldanceartist

Since I have decided I will NOT be bidding on this particular coin...I think I will reveal what it is to those who have responded to this thread. If you object to my revealing the actual auction (still in progress) - PM me with the series you think it is and I'll hold off. Otherwise, I'll post the "answer" at 7:30 tonight.

20. stldanceartist

21. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

The "smoking Liberty"?

stldanceartist likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted