What do you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stldanceartist, Mar 25, 2015.

?

What do you do in this situation?

1. Notify the seller - because you need karma points after running over a squirrel in your car.

3.9%
  2. Tell your coin forum buddies - because they might drop an egg of knowledge your way.

11.8%
  3. DEFINITELY don't tell your coin forum buddies, because they'll definitely outbid you.

9.8%
  4. Just sit back, drink a beer, and watch the auction end where it ends. It's just a coin.

5.9%
  5. Sit back, relax, and eat that squirrel you ran over with your car because DE-LISH!

11.8%
  6. Start a stupid poll about it and enjoy the Pavlovian response as people try to figure out your find

23.5%
  7. Say no more. You must win this coin. You gotta get one of those (variety withheld)!!!!!

43.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Okay, so you're cherrypicking the web, and you come across a sure-fire unattributed variety. It's not one you normally collect, or have even seen before. There isn't a lot of information about it online, ESPECIALLY when it comes to auction listings (i.e., values.) It's not in any of the price guides, but it IS in the Cherrypicker's Guide.

You think it might be valuable, but you just don't know...because so few of them have been sold.

What do you do? (And I tried to have fun with the poll...)

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Poll is genius... Idk what you should do, though I would guess buy it?

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Buy that sucker. Your knowledge on it is what gives you the advantage. I have cherry picked a few this way.

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Do whatever you want. If someone takes it upon themselves to offer a coin forsale to the public, it is fair game; selling a rare or valuable variety, without having done their homework or consulted one who could help them, was their choice. It is different if someone contacts or brings coins to you in an offer to sell as picking in such a situation would be at least highly questionable, but if openly selling themselves, being picked is a risk they chose to take.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. James O'Brien

James O'Brien Active Member

Tell all of my friends that do collect them ... then sit back and enjoy the spectacle of the feeding frenzy

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's the same as cherrying some dealers junk drawer/box..........if he don't want to do the 'heavy lifting' (research) I certainly will. All's fair in love and coins.........

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You forgot one more option.......

Go to Watch Count to see if anyone else is following this listing.

http://www.watchcount.com/

Chris

deacon2828 and stldanceartist like this.
  9. stldanceartist

Ha ha...thanks for that website.

So I'll add this: Since a bazillion (not a real number, but 16 is) people are watching it...I doubt I'm the only person to see it for what it is. I had my reservations about bidding on it anyway - so, NOW what would you do?

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If it's something you need toss your line in the water and see what shakes......

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Backup into a doe the next time. :eek:

Oh yeah, make sure your really the hunter with this.

12. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

place your max bid and if you win you win. If you lose, oh well.

13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

There's 16 people watching it but the seller is still clueless?

14. stldanceartist

It's a nice coin, and still way under FMV. The Snipes are circling...

15. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Well if you know what FMV is then bid a little (or more than a little if you don't really want it) under that and if you get it then you've gotten a nice deal.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Buy it and good hunting is my advise. I tried to bid on some proof sets last night on Ebay from 1960-1964. Saw a nice Kennedy Accented Hair Proof which looked at least Cameo in the lot. Guess I wasn't the only one that noticed it. The auction went for over 300 bucks. Bottom line if not you someone else will.

17. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I picked this.

"Say no more. You must win this coin. You gotta get one of those (variety withheld)!!!!!"

I will also "Eat the squirrel, it's dellish"

JPeace$ and spirityoda like this.
  18. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Good. More squirrel for me!

stldanceartist likes this.
  19. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

What is that rare variety you aren't telling us about STL???o_O

20. stldanceartist

Going by the poll responses, I can say no more.

Free coin to anyone who gets that reference without Google...

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well, I voted to tell my coin forum buddies for the knowledge bomb...but I would have done so privately and not as a forum post, unless I just wanted to learn about it generally.

Draft saved Draft deleted