What Do You Collect?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NewbietoCoins, Jan 12, 2020.

1. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

Early & Branch Mint gold...
    1799 HE.jpg 1807 HE BluCC-ccfopt.jpg 1843-C HE BluCC1.jpg 1860D HE1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NewbietoCoins

NewbietoCoins Well-Known Member

LaCointessa and ripple like this.
  4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The only thing I don't collect is modern NCLT except for Austria Silver/Niobium 25 Euros. If it is attractive and/or historic, I'm in.

5. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

6. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Mainly US, with a little Roman Imperial, pre-decimal British, and Imperial German on the side.

NewbietoCoins likes this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Have you ever seen them carve a hobo? There is a group of carvers that set up a table at FUN, and they had all their tools and were working on pieces. It was fascinating to watch! I had a good discussion with one of the guys, and he told me how he made certain effects. He takes a lot of pride in his work!

8. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

I would love to go to FUN. Too bad I live on the other side of the states.

NewbietoCoins likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What do I collect? Clutter, mostly, apparently. :(

Paul M., ripple and NewbietoCoins like this.
  10. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

I take all my core collection coins to Todd Pollock @ BluCC coins at the Baltimore shows to image. He brings/sets up his own "portable" picture booth at his table and does a great job imaging coins.

11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Maybe one day soon, both @charlottedude and @panzerman will both
    share their treasures in their entirety. CD showed me several pics of his
    collection last year and the coins are truly outstanding. They reflect an
    interesting early part of our nations history. PM has a well rounded and
    high quality collection. As CD, he has been building it for several decades.
    I know the forum would enjoy seeing their treasures, I know I would.
    As CD said, he has Todd Pollock @ BluCC image his coins. Todd does mine
    as well.

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Early us type and trade dollars and pretty much whatever I like. I have a weakness for dollars though 8424E585-FB33-46DC-BAEB-A2B1CB51613B.jpeg D023176A-929D-4929-84FB-462D43409E36.jpeg 58F6E037-9697-4347-944B-515711F413D9.jpeg B4CA9C3C-7AC7-4636-AAE0-1440BDF5573B.jpeg 6B1820CB-9826-483E-9F29-3569BA5DF70C.jpeg CF747EB1-440A-4D41-8B86-573273962B20.jpeg B30BD9E7-0D6F-4B0F-891D-2367AE5F7CB7.jpeg A54408C0-33D5-42DD-AD52-7234BB06D5AC.jpeg 2C98497D-9A52-4EC3-9B8B-B0BC0BD7DFB9.jpeg

13. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

14. james2000

james2000 Member

silver eagle toned or rainbow

Paul M., NewbietoCoins and ripple like this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@Kasia ....you left out the name of your beautiful cat...?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    NewbietoCoins and CoinCorgi like this.
  16. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I collect US coins. But to be more specific, I collect anything that catches my eye. I love going to coin shows and looking through everything the dealer has, and maybe buying a few coins here and there. They just have to jump out at me. Mostly I lean toward toned coins, toned proofs, mercury dimes, and Lincoln cents. And to this day I refuse to buy a morgan dollar. IMO it is an ugly design and "stunning" toned examples are a dime a dozen yet command crazy premiums. The few I do have were gifts that will be cherished forever though.

Currently the collections I am working on include my Lincoln cent Dansco ( trying to fill all the wheat and memorial cents with their proof counterpart rather than a MS. (Likely never going to do the matte proof wheats.)). Also, two 1942 proof sets, one graded and one raw; and a proof mercury dime run. And then I have my binder which include miscellaneous US coins that don't belong to a collection. Mostly consisting of coins that I just "have to have".

Wow, I thought my answer was going to be short and sweet. Anywhoo, here's a toned Lincoln proof for your enjoyment.
    FB_IMG_1575722471048.jpg

17. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

A man after my own heart. If I stumble across one at a dealer's table at a show, there's a 75% chance I am going to buy it (if I have the cash). Last show I went to, I walked out with 5 A&R coins. This was the cream of the crop:
    FB_IMG_1574049782177.jpg FB_IMG_1574049787563.jpg

18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

That's a stock photo. Only there to educamate people on how to look at and admire coins.

green18, spirityoda and NewbietoCoins like this.
  19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'd add @johnmilton to that list. I've known him for 15 years, and I'm still amazed when he pulls some new rarity or beauty out of his hat.

20. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Long term hold collections are nice original F-AU Standing Liberty quarters and world crown types.

21. Aboom

Aboom Member

I am relatively new to collecting. My "focus" is any American coinage. Lol. I get excited when I get change back at the store and once in the car, look it over (on occasion oblivious to the fact that someone is waiting for my spot!). Another special occasion is randomly stopping at a car wash to trade my bills for quarters (car wash optional).

As far as particular coins...I notice i favor coins prior to the 90's. I have quite a stash of various coins from the 40's through the 80's and some that are inherited from the 1800's and up. Most of the latter are American but curiously, some are from Brazil. I say that because I do not know of any ties my late father had to that country yet they were in his collection. I suppose the most noteworthy of what I have collected from pocket change are quite a few 1982 cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted