What do ya know? It's a '72 DDO!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by flipacoin, Jul 8, 2014.

1. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

1972 DDO.JPG I re-searched a ziplock bag of Lincolns today and glad I did! Proud to have found this beauty! Happy Hunting!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Closer pics?

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes... please.

5. cooltrex

cooltrex Member

I don't see the DDO? Pics?

6. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

More pics please!

7. coingeek12

no other pics means..... Not a DDO :D
    J/K, but really, better pics would be nice.

flipacoin likes this.
  8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

A 72DDO is very obvious even with these crappy pics. This is not a DDO... at least not the big one. There are several other minor DDO varieties for ther 72, but most are too minor to mention, let alone be worth anything.

9. BooksB4Coins

It doesn't need to be the big one for the date to be worth mentioning to someone who enjoys such coins.

flipacoin likes this.
  10. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

Ok guys, now back to my hobby! Real life beckons at the most enjoyable times:) For those who want more pics here they are! I know that the doubling don't hit you between the eyes like the FS-01-1972-101. But, as stated, there are over 9 different DDO varieties for this year. I believe mine is closer to FS-01-1972-104. Either way I'm having fun with this and appreciate the input and positive feedback. And I couldn't agree with You BooksB4Coins more....great point:) Have a great Humpday everybody!

Attached Files:

11. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

Got em up as fast as I could! I actually borrowed a macro lense from a friend and really didn't help that much...I have a suspicion that it's the operator and not the camera with the malfunction:)

12. coingeek12

Just a quick question, where do you see the doubling?

13. non_cents

I don't think it's die 4...that is by far the rarest one and second most expensive right after die 1. There is 1 known state (EDS) that shows rim cues on the obverse with telltale die scratches by the N of UNITED and through E PLURIBUS UNUM on the reverse. I am having a hard time seeing it on your coin. You may be confusing it with master die doubling, which is present on about 60% of 1972 cents. But closer, in-focus pictures will say for sure. Here are good illustrations for master die doubling. Good luck!

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25424

flipacoin likes this.
  14. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

Thank you for the information! I had no idea how close MDD was to being an actual DD and that 60%of 72's were affected! This hobby becomes more interesting everyday...I will definitely compare the illustrations and scrutinize more before posting. At least now I have a point of reference, which I will utilize from now on just to make sure and to keep from looking like an incompetent DA:) Thanks!

15. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

16. non_cents

Well technically master die doubling is a form of doubled die...it is just so common that it is generally accepted as "normal" for the date and doesn't command a premium.
    Keep up the hunt!

flipacoin likes this.
  17. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

Thanks non_cents! I have a very interesting 72 I'm checking out now...has some doubling and a very cool orange horizon tone:) Will be posting soon...thanks!

18. BooksB4Coins

Once you get that master doubling in your head, in the future you're not likely to confuse it with the others.

Draft saved Draft deleted