What do l look for? New to collecting.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tksxerica, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Tksxerica

Tksxerica New Member

I don't know any of the abbreviations for terms, or the meaning of many of the terms. I am trying, there is so much online it cam be overwhelming. currently I'm keeping silver, wheat pennies occasional Jeffersons, half dollars, ikes etc.. I'd like to expand. I regularly exchange $5 or so dollars in change for bills, and receive $5 -$15 in payment a few times a day. What is a double die? Anything any help please. I included some pictures for reference. I really do get change i could i best describe in weight, pounds every day. The dime bag in the picture is about 3 weeks and i am the running the register 80% off the time, 12 hours a day 7 days a week very rarely a day off and it is a family business so no worries about stealing.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tksxerica

Tksxerica New Member

also we have ast least 40 pounds of silver coins. I know now they aren't the only coins to look for. This is the usual amount of change i keep in my register im attempting to pic any cool, ood, valuable, old or rare.

Attached Files:

4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

just start learning about the newer coin varieties, and work your way back. Tons to learn, and grow, a real fun hobby.

5. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

If you have questions just keep asking as you go. Everyone here is very helpful. I would recommend posting in the U.S. coin forum.

For where to start just keep any coins that you like the look of. Second, learn silver dates and keep and silver coins!

From there look into denominations you like that you've found and it'll take off!

Youngcoin likes this.
  6. LuxUnit

I'm young and new to collecting seriously by the way, but feel free to ask me questions if you have any on terms and such.

Tksxerica likes this.
  7. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you already have a substantial collection having pounds of silver!

Thanks,
    Jacob

Tksxerica likes this.
  8. Tksxerica

Tksxerica New Member

What exactly is a double die? That would be great to know, I've seen pictures of very obvious ones but what about less obvious i haven't been able to sort out one my own.
    And maybe y'all could tell me about your collections and favorites.

9. LuxUnit

A double DIE is when an image on a coin appears twice. Some extreme cases will appear as if the coin was stamped twice and had moved between stamps. This is NOT what causes it though. I believe it's caused when the mold for a coin is improperly made by a machine.

A double STRIKE is when a coin is stamped two times but the second stamp will cause the first image to flatten and be much less prominent.

Tksxerica likes this.
  10. LuxUnit

A good thing to note is that double die coins aren't always super apparent. They can be a very small shadow of a structure and they won't appear over the whole coin, only the areas that were improperly machined.

Also I'll PM you some stuff about my collection!

Tksxerica likes this.
  11. Tksxerica

Tksxerica New Member

Ok after sorting those bags of coins i found this. The rim is off but no double die. Our of all i only found one 69s. It isn't too beat up to be almost 50.

Attached Files:

USCoinCollector42 likes this.
  12. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

That is called a mis aligned die strike not a doubled die. Keep looking you will find one eventually!

Thanks,
    Jacob

13. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted