What do I have?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jason yarber, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

I have a 1972 penjy that looks off struck could someone help me out and let me know about this one please

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

It's a very slightly off-center strike (both sides are involved).

It's not rare and isn't worth more than the face 1c

4. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

Under the loupe at ten times mag u can see doubling on the tail of the 2 and one like this that was graded sold at auction for over 100

5. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

And all off center strikes are worth more than face value I may be new to this but I do know that much

6. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

No, they are not.

7. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, only the more extreme ones are worth over face value.

Try searching up the term 'MAD' (misaligned die). Your coin would be considered a MAD, which is actually different from an off-center strike.

A MAD coin is created when the the die jiggles a bit while striking massive quantities of coins. This is very common and does not make a coin worth over its face value.

An off-center coin is a more uncommon mint error. Unlike MAD coins, off-center coins are often much more dramatic and the error is noticeable on both sides.

Your coin is probably a MAD (could be a very minor off-center strike). However, the error is just way too minor to be worth anything.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Where did you learn that?

Chris

9. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

From working with Dave hill lmt coins

10. frankjg

Who is that?

11. cpm9ball

No offense intended, but if Dave Hill knows all about them, why are you asking for information, here?

Chris

12. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

If you think you see doubling on the 2 then you can look here and match it to one of the 26 varieties of 1972 Doubled Dies listed. The coin looks uncirculated probably MS62/3. If it is a doubled die, you can get it graded and it would probably be worth about 10$. Unless there is strong doubling, there are more coins than buyers. Keep looking and studying you will find something good. To carry a really good premium, a coin has to be more than 10% off-center or older than 1960.

http://doubleddie.com/384301.html

13. frankjg

MS62, you are kidding, right? That thing has been well circulated.

14. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

Alhe had a shop in barboursville WV u can look it up but he passed away a few months back and I've just recently gotten into errors

15. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

He had a shop in barboursville WV but passed away a few months ago

16. cpm9ball

It's unfortunate that Mr. Hill passed, but my experience with most dealers is that they know very little about errors. It is just too time-consuming for them to be examining every single coin for minute details.

Judging from this thread and your others, I think you need to learn more about the minting process. With a firm understanding how coins are produced, you are then in a better position to recognize errors.

Chris

17. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

We'll have to let the TPG's decide that, I can't tell from the picture. o_O

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

He is right, all off-centers are worth more than face value, the coin posted here is not an off-center. It is a MAD coin with both dies mis-aligned, and mis-aligned in different directions.

The obv is mis-aligned toward roughly 10:00. If the reverse was off in the same direction it would be toward 8:00, but the reverse is off toward 2:00.

USCoinCollector42 and Heavymetal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted